Join Login
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge

What to put on my hob!

Page 1 of 1
Hi,
Our house construction has started now (yaaay!) and I am turning my attention to decorating - very exciting.

I have ordered some wallpaper samples from the UK for the bedroom, so once I get those I will start a thread to get some thoughts as not sure on that yet.

However, today... just starting to think about what to do with this hob in our entrance - photo is from the display home. Of course DH thinks we should have squared it off to get more robe space in the bedroom - but I think it could be a great feature, provided I work out what to do with it.

Any ideas of where to start searching and shopping for something? Some sort of sculpture would be great. Of course another option would be a painting on the wall, but that doesn't maximise the hob itself.

Dimensions are 730 x 600 on the base, and 1815mm high.

All ideas welcome! Thanks.
I’m a bit stuck on this also….you don’t see them very often unless they have a purpose, so best we give yours a purpose….

Leave it with me; I’ll have a think about it.
By the way…do you have a niche in the wall in the hallway also???
As you have said I think a tall sculpture would be nice in a dark colour especially with the downlight over it.
You could always build a trough on it and build a waterfall with glass or stack stone somehow going down into the trough!
I think the hob is too long for just one sculpture, the sculpture could look a little lost there.
Another question, do you have small children?
Or planning to have some?
HI - thanks for your replies so far - just back after dinner etc...

Yes I know what you mean MIchelle, it needs a purpose. I know it could be a great entrance if I find the right thing. I didn't realise it was so tall until now.

We don't have children, although a possibiity (that is another long story and project!). So not an issue at the moment.

I need to start looking around. Perhaps given the height of the hob if I found something it may need to be built up higher first unless it is pretty tall.

I hope I don't regret leaving the hob as it is...

Oh, and yes, there are two niches further down the hallway. They are each 800mm wide x 1315 high (1000 above floor) x 270 deep. Not sure what to put in those either. Although perhaps do glass shelving to split the height?
How about some lighting feature a tall one with different strobe patterns.
If you were into snakes you could make a glass box from base to top and have a large tree branch going up etc

You could stand one of those water urns there the tall ones where the water bubbles over the top .
HUmmmm... yes yes i too have to think about these sort of things.
This is the first out of 3 houses that is. That i haven't had 4 little carpet sharks wrecking the joint!
its all exciting isn't it
i have spots like this that wll need some sort of art work sitting on them
Hi,

Thanks for some ideas. I was googling last night and found this link to sculptures in Victoria
http://www.sculptorsvictoria.asn.au/search.php

I haven't had a chance to have a proper look through - and probably all totally out of price range - but a start.

I also looked at google images for inspiration - mainly finding things I definitely didn't want like a ceramic dog with a welcome sign in it's mouth... or a sculpture of the crucifixion...

A lighting feature might be good. Stupidly I haven't added a downlight there and no power points, but we will be getting an electrician in for fan installation etc, so can also add something.
How about these light sculptures?

lumenico.com From Small Acorns would fit in if that's your taste.

If you need some ideas go to an art gallery and have a chat with them. They are always so helpful and know the artists work beautifuly. They would have some great ideas for sure.
Thanks cascre. I shall have a proper look through that site later. I am meant to be working just now!

Yes will look up some small galleries and start looking at those and asking questions.

I must slip something into our budget for this too... ha ha
Have you got a link to this house?
Or a floor plan you can provide?

I’d like to see the whole area of the space with the hob.

Thanks….
HI Michelle,

Here is the house plan, I hope you can see where I mean. As you enter the house, hob will be on the left at the end of the first part of the entrance. Our house is flipped from the photo of the display I showed in my post.

Might be a litle hard to see - marked as a little square near door to garage.

Yes I saw where it was straight away…..makes a huge difference with the plan!
Thanks for that.
Doghouse….how have you been going with this space?
Found anything?

Sorry….I have been caught up.
Related
4/02/2024
Pot filler tap over hob

General Discussion

Hello I'm remodeling my kitchen and evaluating ideas. We are in the last stages of drawing and I am now considering putting a pot filler tap in above the hob. Has anyone…

1/03/2024
Is it possible to put granite on top of tile?

General Discussion

ley me know if anybody know about this

14/04/2024
Anyone recently put in a new shower with bench seat?

Bathrooms and Laundry

I’m loving the potential versatility and practicality of a bench seat in a shower. Anyone had one of these done recently? Not sure if they are straight forward and easy…

You are here
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge
Home
Pros
Forum