Join Login
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge

Interior and kitchen paint colours for new build.

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

I am considering the following colours for my walls and kitchen which will be semi gloss 2pac, with dark brown wood look tile, and polar (quantum quartz) benchtops. I like the warmer neutrals.

Dulux white duck half (cabinets), quarter (walls and trim) - worried it might throw to much green.

Dulux white beach half (kitchen cabinets), quarter (walls and trim) - I really like this colour as the undertone are so subtle but am worried it looks a bit muddy.

Dulux grand piano half (kitchen), quarter (walls and trim) - worried it might be too warm/red, even though I tend towards warmer.

Has anyone used these colours or have any other suggestions?

Regards,

CB
GrandPiano Half was the choice in the last house, but it turned out quite green, so with that in mind I chose Antique White USA (full) in the current house and it suits much better. I too, like warm neutrals and dislike grey in any shade, so the AW is perfect and soaks up whatever colour is in the room or time of day/natural light etc.

I would use it again without hesitation, but as colour is such a personal thing you may/may not like it, but suggest you get some sample pots and paint test boards because natural light coming into the house can change whatever colour you might choose. Furnishing colours add another level of balance or confusion. Life's not easy sometimes....but, good luck.
I admit to overlooking the antique white as I have it in my current house (rental) and it looks like a dirty shade of yellow.. It know its the lighting here which is really odd - an eclectic mix of cool and warm colours, not complimentary ones. I have ordered an a4 swatch though.

I am really interested about your grand piano looking green. I thought I saw this too when comparing to a warmer tile but otherwise I see red in it? So weird. Can I ask what flooring colours you had with the grand piano?

Thanks!
Initially I didn't see GrandPiano as being really green, just a very slight tinge, but nothing more. That is, until I went to choose bedroom carpet which I wanted in Taupe, but shock, horror absolutely nothing looked OK so I went from carpet store to carpet store and eventually found one, but it was the cheapest and while I was on a fairly strict budget (aren't we all, when building?) and not what I had in mind at all. However colour match was more important, so cheap carpet it was.

It didn't matter what fibre or style of carpet, absolutely nothing matched and by then I even considered changing the paint colour but a repaint was way out of budget, so cheaper carpet it was. Floor tiles were the same and I ended up going to a light ivory colour to bypass the green undertones.

I don't notice AW throwing yellow, but maybe that's because I have taupe/coffee/ivory furnishings so it absorbs tones from those? Carpet, again, is taupe and didn't have the same problems which was such a relief, actually I think there were 5 or 6 carpets that looked great, so no need to accept something I didn't really like.

In fact I haven't had any undertone problems here and can add any colour and it looks OK. Such a relief since the GP fiasco.
Thanks Allnamesaregone. I think you have just helped me rule GP out. My carpet is going to be taupe! I have ordered an A4 swatch of AW and a few other whites that I had previously considered a bit light. Thanks for your advice and sorry you had to go through that!
I didn't mention the A4 swatches because I wasn't sure if they were still available, but they are so much better than the 100x100 swatches.

Not sure of current cost, but Bunnings used to mix 'sample pots' for $5 or $6 and I found them very useful. Sometimes you have to jump through a lot of hoops to get the colour just right and other times it just works....fingers crossed it works for you!
Related
23/08/2023
Need advise on surfacing render interior wall

General Discussion

I am looking for someone who might have tackled a similar issue as me. I have a few rendered interior walls, the surface condition is hardly flat. I can see all the bumps…

24/10/2023
Dark Interior Tiles - Charcoal

Building A New House

Hi All, I am looking to go with tiles instead of laminate timber flooring throughout my living areas for my new build (Ashbury 29 - Henley). My whole colour scheme is on…

23/01/2024
Interior stone wall DIY

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi Would love some advice on a DIY project I've dived into that's now keeping me up at night. We've got a cool 1970's Mid Century style house here in NZ and have always…

You are here
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge
Home
Pros
Forum