Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

Shoe cupboard under the stairs!

Page 1 of 1
When we were having our current house built, we requested a door to access under the stairs, as there is quite a lot of otherwise wasted space.

We stored some boxes, a whole assortment of shoes piled up, and a large box with the ducted vacuum hose (well it has to live somewhere)!

Recently, I got tired of fossicking for shoes, so I got creative and purchased some shelving from Bunnings, screwed to the wall where I could find studs, and now we have a proper "walk-in shoe cupboard".

I added some battery powered sensor lights so that it get illuminated whenever you open the door (when it is a bit dark in the house), as I couldn't see any easy way to get electrical power in there for a decent light!

Has anyone done anything similar? I'm planning something for the next house, and will request a light inside next time!
Not sure you have enough shoes.
Have you heard about Imelda Marcos in the Philippines?

Well it's daughter's and wife's shoes, both into pageants, and formal functions, so need a lot of colours and heels!
Great job! The only problem is dust, from time to time you will have to wipe shoes that you have not worn for a long time
Sparkyf
When we were having our current house built, we requested a door to access under the stairs, as there is quite a lot of otherwise wasted space.

We stored some boxes, a whole assortment of shoes piled up, and a large box with the ducted vacuum hose (well it has to live somewhere)!

Recently, I got tired of fossicking for shoes, so I got creative and purchased some shelving from Bunnings, screwed to the wall where I could find studs, and now we have a proper "walk-in shoe cupboard".

I added some battery powered sensor lights so that it get illuminated whenever you open the door (when it is a bit dark in the house), as I couldn't see any easy way to get electrical power in there for a decent light!

Has anyone done anything similar? I'm planning something for the next house, and will request a light inside next time!

LOL... Will you send me a few pairs?
you need more lights than just battery things..
you want the shoes looking good, lights is everything, or keep buying new ones..

every shoe shop already made good samples of how to showing shoes, check it if you don't konw how to do

and also there's space on back of the door if you want some more shelves
I really wanted to put power in there, but being two storey, there was no easy way to access power or light without punching holes in plaster! When we need more light, we just switch on the downlights in the passage outside the cupboard!
We did a cleanout of boxes stored under the stairs, so I took the opportunity to sort out the shoe cupboard, to make it walk in again!

That's all mine on the top left shelf (one shelf only - lol).

No, my wife is not Imelda Marcos, our daughter is in pageants, so they both need a variety of shoes!
Related
3/10/2023
Laundry floor has recess under cupboard

Laundry

Waterproofing wet areas, including laundries is a requirement now. I don't know if it was 12 years (for a laundry) but I can't see why it would t have been. Have you got…

17/08/2023
Stairs gap

Building A New House

Got my stairs designed like this with 250mm Gap marked below. Gap is bec of 2 steps added between two landing area…

10/09/2023
Laundry door placement v split level stairs

Windows & Doors

Move your linen into laundry and access laundry from your present linen space

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum