Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

Lining a shed

Page 1 of 1
So, in the off chance I need to kit out a home office soon, I was wondering if anyone can give pointers on whether I could line my shed? I’m really not sure where to start or what to consider.

It has a concrete floor, large sliding door and I’ve attached a couple of images of the frame if it helps.

Thanks in advance!

You'd need to create a batten frame inside the sparse steel frame so you have something to hang the lining off. If you space the battens correctly, you'll be able to install insulation batts to provide you with better comfort. If you remind me sometime, I'll take a photo of our shed framing so you can see what I mean.
arcadelt
You'd need to create a batten frame inside the sparse steel frame so you have something to hang the lining off. If you space the battens correctly, you'll be able to install insulation batts to provide you with better comfort. If you remind me sometime, I'll take a photo of our shed framing so you can see what I mean.

Thanks - is the batten frame just vertical steel battens screwed into the wood horizontals?
Mcblt
...is the batten frame just vertical steel battens screwed into the wood horizontals?

Ours is a full timber frame fitted inside the steel supports. We primarily wanted it so the corrugated cladding could run horizontally, but it means we can insulate and line the shed if we wanted too.

Can be done no worries, you would need to resheet the roof and get some parking up there, build insitu walls insulated and lined. There is a bit of work involved but nothing crazy.
Where are you located?
arcadelt
Ours is a full timber frame fitted inside the steel supports. We primarily wanted it so the corrugated cladding could run horizontally, but it means we can insulate and line the shed if we wanted too.

Thanks for the photos! Really helpful.

MClark
Can be done no worries, you would need to resheet the roof and get some parking up there, build insitu walls insulated and lined. There is a bit of work involved but nothing crazy.
Where are you located?
That sounds like a lot! I’m in Adelaide.
Mcblt
arcadelt

MClark
Where are you located?

Bugger, if in Melbourne could have dropped in.

It isn't alot when you break it down item by item.
Mcblt
arcadelt

MClark
Where are you located?

Hey mate, I'm in Adelaide also, and am doing exactly the same thing as you with an identical shed (same truss/timber/steel/concrete setup). Must be the same vintage, that ubiquitous SA shed!

I've got about 80sqm of reclaimed plywood (from Born Again Pallets, a great resource for stuff that doesnt neet to look perfect) to line the roof/walls, 60+ L/m of reclaimed oregon pine for framing walls, and a bunch of foil backed insulation batts that I plan to install in due time. If you've made progress on your build it'd be great to see how you may have approached things.
MClark
Mcblt
arcadelt

MClark
Where are you located?

Bugger, if in Melbourne could have dropped in.

It isn't alot when you break it down item by item.

If I am lining a shed ceiling like the one OP has shared, would it require battens between the purlins? Or can I get away with just attaching directly to the underside of the purlins? Spans are 900mm, sheets would be 900x1200x10mm for ease of installation.
Related
14/06/2023
Lining Shed

General Discussion

Hi, I am sheeting the inside of a 5.7 x 8m shed with gyprock. Unfortunately the shed wasn't designed for internal cladding but I have been framing it up as strongly as…

13/08/2023
In-ground pool lining

Pools & Spas

Hi, I'm new to this forum so I hope I'm doing this post correctly. Please advise if it's not. I've just bought my place. The inground pool has a marble lining that has…

14/04/2024
Pre Lining Inspection with defects

Building A New House

There are a lot of private inspectors should have stayed working as tradies!! Firstly, you paid for a professional opinion of the works, if he has picked up on an item he…

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum