Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

New member .... Help welcome. Timber frame wall coming down

Page 1 of 1
Hello, newbie here. I am renovating a shocking house that absorbs all joy and constantly leaves Trades scratching their chins and muttering ‘not sure what they were thinking when they did that!’. Simple tasks seem to all be complicated by the cluster of nonsense that surrounds us 😢

BUT ...... we have a plan. Step one is removing the hideous garage that takes over garden, and rebuilding so it runs flush with house wall and gives us full garden to landscape. This will become the wall for the garage on one side and the (newly positioned) kitchen on the other. Engineers drawings etc for the garage will be completed. However the wall that joins that wall (garage/kitchen is west wall and this will be the north wall) is currently holding two sets of French doors and four windows. Two separate rooms that will be made into one. The wall span will be 12 metres. I was thinking of making this wall also brick and putting in large stacker door of about 4 metres (although will be one room it is two gable ceilings so limited by height of lowest point where ceilings join.

Thank you if you made it this far.... my question is can I structurally do this. Two walls brick with east and south walls being timber..... and if I can do it, is it worth it?
A floorpan and photos of the existing would help us a lot before anyone gives you an opinion.

Stewie
Pombearinoz
Thank you if you made it this far.... my question is can I structurally do this. Two walls brick with east and south walls being timber..... and if I can do it, is it worth it?

Words only take you so far when renovating/building , sketches,details, calculations, data, compliance checks etc fill in the gaps
As some one who does structural repairs I do advocate getting proper illustrative certified drawings...they are cheaper than having to do structural repairs further down the track
Heres an eg of what I recommend and do...it's self explanitory
Alfresco Conversion BTW all WA project homes are built this way
For Brick walls you'll require T- bar lintels,steel rods and columns etc
I am seeing far too many stacker door problems onsite to mention..
LOL never mind/m̶i̶n̶e̶ ..you judge
Cheers
Chris
Thank you for your replies. Muppet question .... how do I attach documents to my post 😬

We do have a surveyor coming on 14 to complete drawings StructuralBIMGuy, can only hope his drawings are as good as your example. Had real issues getting anyone out .... stacker doors do worry me a tad, perhaps we should go for sliding or French doors ....

Will put a plan up once I work out how 😀

This photo shows the garage (9.2 metres) which is coming down - dirty grey long rectangle to the left of the picture in front of the green/white roof.

The new garage will run along the length of the side of the extension only (6.2 metres) - which is the shiny zinc roof. This will free up the garden as no garage!

The two shiny zinc roofs are the currently two separate rooms that will become one room. The pool stays and will be squared off. the green and white roof is a patio - this will come down. We want to square off swimming pool area (which would mean widening the concrete pool surround)and make garden useful - no real concept of how yet!!

Hopefully starting to make more sense with the picture .... and thank you fo ryour interest and help
Hey PBIO
Thanks for the info..there are 4 progressive Stages
Client Apps/Sketch-> Project Verification Stage/preliminary Design ->Planning/Development Application (DA)->Building Application (BA)
Sounds like you're at the Preliminary Stage?
This Involves Rough Sketch/3D Model, broad based Quants/Data,etc here
Preliminary Design, Quants and costs
Land Surveyors are generally engaged at DA while Building Surveyors at BA
Basically the more you can do/sort out with the app the more you can save
Don't spend too much on the preliminary models with consultants... just in case it doesn't proceed
Cheers
Chris
Related
18/04/2024
Hebel + steel frame vs brick+ timber frame

General Discussion

This is 100% true. You can not hang anything on steel frames. very frustrating

26/03/2024
Help! Why are my hybrid floors coming loose?

General Discussion

A Sabco spin mop, minimal moisture, not very regularly. I was told these hybrids are water resistant 🤷‍♀️

6/03/2024
HELP! External Sheathing on a timber frame. Builder unsure?

Building A New House

Thanks Pulse, thats really helpful and very much appreciated. Also thanks for the pointer on sheathing, thats me watching too many american youtube videos!

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum