Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

Reducing road noise

Page 1 of 1
Hi, I'm seriously considering buying my dream home and garden, on a very busy road. It's four lanes wide, and gets buses, trucks and cars. I can fit secondary glazing or shutters to keep the house quiet, but I will spend a big chunk of time each day in the garden (I'm retired) and would like to reduce the noise level there as well.

I would love to hear some success stories about acoustic walls (maybe the panel ones that are polystyrene sandwiched between two sheets), or else Hebel block, rendered, or whatever else has worked.

On the other hand, if you've tried walls and they don't seem to work, you might as well set me straight before next week's auction.

Thank you so much.
Solid brick walls up to 1800mm work well but some councils will make you articulate them so that they are not one big straight wall.

Stewie D
In my experience, it depends on the wall and the level of noise - it'd be best to talk to an expert before you invest and build something. Sometimes walls are just not enough, any reason you wouldn't consider noise cancelling headphones/earmuffs?
There are options that can help mitigate the noise, but I'd hate to think you wouldn't get the result you want.
Maybe keep looking for the dream home in a quieter street

MC
I am looking for ways to reduce the noise before building my dream house, because in front of the land that I plan to build is a big road with many cars passing every day, the noise is quite loud from vehicles, what should I do in this case to reduce the noise? refer to this article. Should people choose noise-reducing tires? as mentioned in this article https://tireer.com/best-tires-for-comfort-and-noise/
Related
18/01/2024
Terry road box hill

General Discussion

I brought terry road box hill in June 2022 House was meant to be completed Nov 2023 That did not happen I had to chase them so much to the land Registration and…

23/03/2024
Strange noise in the walls

General Discussion

Nope, only on the inside, I've literally has my ears to the brick outside and can't hear anything. I can sort of 'reset' the noise by pressing firmly on the studs. This…

29/02/2024
Home Noise Reduction/Soundproofing

Renovation + Home Improvement

Upgrading your windows to soundproof ones, like triple-glazed, can make a significant difference. While changing window…

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum