Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

Beam in unit

Page 1 of 1
HI I was wondering if anyone could advise on a beam in a 1970's apartment block for which we are just about to put an offer in. We have absolutely no idea about building structure but are reluctant to pay for a building inspection as we are very early in the bidding process.

As seen in the photos, there is a beam in the middle of the kitchen. This means there is barely enough room for a fridge etc. Can anyone please advise the likelihood of being able to easily remove this beam and replace with another type of support if needed. The unit is on the 2nd floor (and top floor) of the apartment block.

Hoping

someone can advise
Lisa
Hi Lisaawill
Welcome to the forum and thanks for the photos
I think you mean Structural Column?
Here are the steps
1. Get copies of the engineering plans, these can be obtained from the Council Building department
2. Have the Building inspected by a Structural Engineer
3. You will require new Structural Plans to be lodged & certified
Also Check for current code and Australian Standards Compliance
The Council Building Surveyor should also advise you accordingly
"Forewarned is Forearmed"
As above or remove a roof sheet if possible and check if column is structural or just partition wall.
If roof sheet cannot be removed maybe cut a hole in plaster ceiling and have a look.
if not bearing any load just demolish it. -- Sorry just realised you haven't bought the apartment yet.
Being on the top floor really doubt it would be structural,unless there was a some sort of weighty tank or something on the roof directly above it.A builder or carpenter should be able to give you a considered opinion for a couple of hundred bucks.
Thanks for your comments. That sounds promising
Related
11/08/2023
Path around drop edge beam

Paving & Concreting

Hello everyone, After some suggestions and ideas about how to put a concrete path around the drop edge beam area on our new build. We are required to have a concrete path…

22/10/2023
Drop (Deepened) Edge Beam maximum depth/height

Building A New House

The distance between my DEBs varies from 4.1m at the narrowest to 8.1m at the widest.

30/10/2023
Drop edge beam

General Discussion

I would like to build our new house with the rear section approx 1 metre out of the ground, I don't particularly like to go bearers and joists so concrete slab all the way…

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum