Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

Protecting Bottom Wall Plates in Brick Veneer Extension

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

I am an owner-builder adding a brick veneer extension to my exiting brick veneer home in Adelaide, SA. I am about to build the wall frames myself. I see the wall frames in other new brick veneer houses being constructed nearby are built entirely with untreated timber (MGP10 pine), as I believe is the case in my existing home. My approved plans have not specified any treated timber for the wall frames.

My question concerns the bottom plate of the new wall framing I am going to build. Is it worth making these treated timber, to protect against moisture coming through the concrete raft footing and/or in case the floor somehow (rarely) gets wet and water reaches the bottom of the frame ? Or is using treated timber here not important and perhaps only inviting problems with the nails or other fasteners deteriorating due to the chemicals in the treated timber ?

Additionally, is it worth placing a plastic damp-course under the bottom plates ? This would seem to me to be a good idea, but I don't seem to see it done anywhere... ?

Thank you for any thoughts or advice you might like to offer.

Mai-au.
I always use malthoid in this situation 110 wide.
mai-au
Who approved your Flashing & Waterproofing details
Are they code Compliant or certified as an alternate Solution?
More info required
Related
27/06/2023
Hole on brick veneer wall

General Discussion

can’t tell from the photo, a tie down rod will be 12mm, is it a steel beam? he should be able to work it out

24/05/2024
Wall wrap requriement for brick veneer walls with timber fra

Building A New House

Hi Sleepless Knights, NOTE THE BELOW INFORMATION IS BASED ON RECOMMENDATIONS OF OTHER PEOPLE FROM FACEBOOK GROUP WHERE I POSTED THE SAME POST. I was told by few people…

15/08/2023
How hard to change CDC plan for a brick veneer to double bri

Building A New House

depends on your council, some 1 day some 14 days

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum