Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

Second Story addition

Page 1 of 1
Hi All,
Hi All,
we are in planning / budgeting stage of our project for adding a second story to our existing house in Sinnamon Park QLD. This second story includes a master bedroom with ensuits and walk in rope, another bedroom with built in, a retreatment/ family area and perhaps a balcony. Of course, some minor alternations are required for the first floor. There are a few things that we are thinking about an would be good to receive your experience and advice

1- We are not sure if it is doable and worth it?
2- any idea about the total cost?
3- Has anyone have this experience here?
Sketch, photos ..more info required
Getting The best Data and use from a site/project
below are the plan of existing house:The house was built in Dec 1999.

At a glance your footings are bit light on for 2S brick veneer, Soil Type?, also you may need to have columns and pads incorporated
Proposed Design, budget,etc? Cheers
We don't have any professional proposed plan yet. I just illustrated something for myself which is not necessarily a proper one. This is how I think it can be.

Steve-B
Thanks for the information
A couple of points & Questions to consider
By locating the bulk of the extension over the back of the existing house may not give you the front elevation
you desire as the upper storey will be hidden by Single storey roof....How important is your elevation?
Do you have views to the back?
Do you have a prefered location for the stairs?
BTW, Low Plasticity soil is class S that will need to be taken into consideration as I can't see any internal wall slab thickenings? OT,Just curious have you had any slab or Brickwork cracking?)
To draw the sketch up properly so you can have a play around with visual changes
Try some of the free design apps mentioned here
Visualising Plans
Screen capture and post up some of the 3D design Images/questions
I use sketchup & 3D for the Engineering & Quantity (ie, m,m2,m3) estimating this will assist in your understanding
Cheers
Chris
Thank you so much for your response. I really appreciate it.
1- I located the bulk of the extension over the back of the existing house because of very nice view of bushland behind the property.However, I am not an expert and I just illustrated my thoughts and we are looking for the best design solution.
2- we are planning to remove bedroom 2 and its robe and linen space in entrance corridor to add more room to our current living room and our prefered staircase (a modern wood and glass stairs)location would be in entrance corridor right next to bathroom. below is what we think about our existing floor alternation and stairs location.

3- I am not expert in soil type and this sort of stuff and prefer to hear expert's advise. Just for your information, There is not any major slab or Brickwork cracking.below is what I found in house drawing dosuments:

4- the thing that really concerns me is that I had a chat with a architect and she advised me that this second story addition is not doable ! ( without visiting the site). Obviously, she never had this type of house extension project before and it was so odd to her!

Here is a quick Massing Model
1. This 2nd storey extension to LHS will give you a prominent front elevation
2.Staircase location is great, Stack the bathroom above, and sitting room to Balcony at rear
3.Work on your floor plan and let me know how you go
My comments are well known about Architects nuf said

Cheers
StructuralBIMGuy

Here is a quick Massing Model
1. This 2nd storey extension to LHS will give you a prominent front elevation
2.Staircase location is great, Stack the bathroom above, and sitting room to Balcony at rear
3.Work on your floor plan and let me know how you go
My comments are well known about Architects nuf said

Cheers

Thank you very much. I will get in touch with you soon
Thanks mate, appreciate your advice.
StructuralBIMGuy
@Steve-B
Thanks for the information
A couple of points & Questions to consider
By locating the bulk of the extension over the back of the existing house may not give you the front elevation
you desire as the upper storey will be hidden by Single storey roof....How important is your elevation?
Do you have views to the back?
Do you have a prefered location for the stairs?
BTW, Low Plasticity soil is class S that will need to be taken into consideration as I can't see any internal wall slab thickenings? OT,Just curious have you had any slab or Brickwork cracking?)
To draw the sketch up properly so you can have a play around with visual changes
Try some of the free design apps mentioned here
Visualising Plans
Screen capture and post up some of the 3D design Images/questions
I use sketchup & 3D for the Engineering & Quantity (ie, m,m2,m3) estimating this will assist in your understanding
Cheers
Chris

I asked my tenant to see if there is any slab or Brickwork cracking in the house and he sent me these photos. your thoughts? are these cracks major?

Hi Steve-B
Thanks for the photos
Considering your house is going on 19 years old, minor cracking is expected
Though, It would be a good idea to repair that downpipe to SW connection
Cheers
Related
28/06/2023
Second story extension on steel frame house

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi, We have a single story MacDonald Jones house, on a waffle pod slab with steel frame. Are we able to build a second story extension? Other info is we are 900mm from…

5/02/2024
1st Storey addition vs Lower level excavation

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi there, We’ve recently had plans approved to add a 1st storey addition to our existing house for a growing family in Sydney. With the current cost of building…

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum