Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

Review of layout for home extension

Page 1 of 1
Hi all, I've been reading a lot on this forum and found suggestions helpful so looking to see what comments people have about this layout. Got an old California style bungalow in Inner West Sydney which I'm looking to build an extension on.

A few things which architect and builder has already told us but we still want to keep.

Also, anyone have a rough guide on costs of a project like this. I've been speaking to a builder who helps us input into the plans and uses mid quality fittings and it's blowing out our budget massively... i.e. $35/sqm tiles, $20k allowance for kitchen, semi-commercial stegbar windows & sliding. Was wondering what other people think this will cost. Current calculation is roughly ~$2,400 per sqm including the internals.

Thanks!

Can you post a picture of the front of the existing house.
I'd consider enclosing the current entrance, moving the main entrance down to the alfresco deck area. this give you either a 5th bedroom downstairs, or an open but separate study/rumpus area for the kids/guests bedroom area, and also restricts those pesky 1am covert entrances and exits from the 12-15 YO'ds bedroom.
Hi Keungleung Welcome to the forum
Thanks for the floor plan

I estimate your house extension to be approx 180m2?
Therefore 180 m2x $ 2400/m2= 432K
I would guesstimate the basic extension to be in the range of $450-$500K but not on high end specifications
and details add another $150K.
You really need to break down the design, Construction elements, specifications, quants, costs etc,etc and get 3 competitive quotes

Goodluck
Hey,
The layout seems pretty good. It would be better if you could post some snaps also here
Cheers
I think the layout of your home seems great. Best of luck!
Related
26/10/2023
Builder Charging to Review Independent Reports

Building A New House

It is true that a builder can ignore your independent inspection report as it is not part of the contractual arrangement but that is stupid because he cannot avoid fixing…

27/10/2023
Your most important inspection? Pre contract review.

General Discussion

The worst thing you can do is sign a building contract without a pre contract review. Over the years many people have come to me with disputes where they just signed…

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum