Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

Renovating - How much to add a room

Page 1 of 1
Hi all
We are renovating an old post war weatherboard house and have 4 kids...madness!
We really need a family room on the back off the kitchen which I am looking at subcontracting to reduce costs and add responsibility of course. Would be really jnterested to know if anyone has undertaken a similar project whilst working full time and looking after four moody teens at same time!
I am qualified interior designer so have an idea of how the building process works but that’s about it. Please don’t be shy to tell me if this is a bad idea
No bathrooms or wet areas effected, so just a straight tack on to the back of the house

Timber footings and weather board external

Cheers
Larissa
Rizza0711
Hi all
We are renovating an old post war weatherboard house and have 4 kids...madness!
We really need a family room on the back off the kitchen which I am looking at subcontracting to reduce costs and add responsibility of course. Would be really jnterested to know if anyone has undertaken a similar project whilst working full time and looking after four moody teens at same time!
I am qualified interior designer so have an idea of how the building process works but that’s about it. Please don’t be shy to tell me if this is a bad idea
No bathrooms or wet areas effected, so just a straight tack on to the back of the house

Timber footings and weather board external

Cheers
Larissa
We have 2 kids, couldn't imagine doing it with 4

I tend to advise people that if they are time poor trying to manage a Reno themselves can be tricky. That said it comes down to how organised you can be?

In relation to cost it's hard to say without knowing a few more specs but the deciding factor should be how long you plan on living there and if you would be over capitalising by spending 50-100K??

Regards

James Mason
www.renovationjunkies.com.au
Related
13/10/2023
Renovating new home - Asbestos question

Renovation + Home Improvement

What you are looking at is fibrous plaster, true gypsum, it is cast on horizontal beds with fibers included to give strength. I has no Asbestos in it. Houses before 1985…

31/01/2024
Is swimming pool cost effective to add value to new build?

Building A New House

The last home I lived in didn't have a pool and when i went to sell it the agents were not happy, even telling me to put one in to sell the place. The agents weren't happy…

4/03/2024
Does fibre glass pool add to the site cost

General Discussion

Approvals are covered in the cost we are paying to the pool company. The only thing stated in our home build contract for the additional cost is engineering support. …

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum