Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

Sectioning Off Part of House for Student Accom

Page 1 of 1
I live in double story house in Melbs Eastern suburbs

Proximity to Unis etc , in terms of distance / transport is quite good

There is just myself & partner at the house which is double story

So I am thinking of modifying the upstairs to contain 3 or 4 rooms with ensuite / study areas
for students ; doing it nicely

As the house is double story , the logical way to proceed would be for top floor to be just for students / bottom floor
our area

The logical way to proceed would be to also set up a small kitchen / open TV type area upstairs for the students
, even to have outside stair case if possible (thinking that would mean planning permit)

I have heard somewhere that councils don't like allowing people to do this kind of stuff , 2nd kitchen , 2nd "living type area" so people disguise it under calling it a "craft room" etc

Any advice on this or how to proceed , just all in the conceptual stage atm

I only need a planning permit (& I know this is complex) if I change the "structural envelope" of the building or outside appearance

Perhaps a reasonable idea might be to a "discreet stairway" which is still inside the house ; meaning the studs don't have to come in & "announce themselves" every time they come & go
Related
29/01/2024
Sign off approval required before verandah built

General Discussion

Depends on size, local regulations etc. Ask your Council.

25/03/2024
Job sequences in fixing and fit-off stage

Building A New House

Thanks for much mate. I see that you do cabinets before flooring. For timber flooring, for most parts it's fine because it's got base plates, and for door jabs you can…

10/05/2024
Cement Off

Building A New House

Thanks for that. I think the mortar has been sitting on these surfaces for approx a year. We’re at handover & they tried to get it off the rubber but have damaged it…

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum