Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

Replace skirting?

Page 1 of 1
How feasible is it to replace skirting boards?

When I bought my place I had the shirting boards taken off to put down a wooden floor (I wanted it to look professional without the awful looking beading around the edge) and they were put back on very badly by the carpenter we got. I have kind of put up with it for years but am thinking of finally having them replaced.

Is this doable easily enough or will half the plaster get ripped off the wall when the current ones are removed?

If you've removed them once, they should come off again easily enough provided they weren’t stuck back on with glue. Even then, if they are separated carefully from the wall by cutting behind the boards, then the plaster should be OK. Also, plaster is very easy to repair.
My partner says if you can get one piece off, maybe lever it from the sides and not the top. Or get a stud finder and lever it where there’s a bit of strength.

Philsta
How feasible is it to replace skirting boards?

When I bought my place I had the shirting boards taken off to put down a wooden floor (I wanted it to look professional without the awful looking beading around the edge) and they were put back on very badly by the carpenter we got. I have kind of put up with it for years but am thinking of finally having them replaced.

Is this doable easily enough or will half the plaster get ripped off the wall when the current ones are removed?

Assuming your walls are brickwork?
I would bother trying to use/lineup the old wall plugs..try these steps
1. Remove old skirting
2. Measure cut and mitre corners etc. Check the fit against the wall and adjoining mitres
3. Drill a pilot hole into the skirtings to locate fixing nailing/holes
4.Place skirtings in correct final location
5.Use a Syringe/Puffer filled with chalk to mark the wall through the pilot hole
6.Remove skirtings, Drill and Timber plug chalk spots on wall
7. The nails hole in the skirting and wooden plug should now align
Happy fixing..it's slow and tedious but will give you the best results
I'd be more worried scratching up your nice floors than the walls which would be an easy repair with a bit of spackle, you might want to tape up along the edge of the floor where it meets the board if they're hard on the floor.
There's simply no comparison, no Scotia look is so much cleaner and classier.
Related
17/08/2023
26 year old Colorbond roof. Repaint or replace?

Renovation + Home Improvement

Your house roof does not show rusting other than some surface rust on the flashings. In my opinion you dont need to replace or paint the roof other than treat surface rust…

5/02/2024
Skirting and Floorboard space

Building A New House

Joe Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. If you haven't sorted this already you need to caulk this gap. Not sure where you are but if you are in Sydney I can…

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum