Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

Removing old air conditioner in Asbestos wall

Page 1 of 1
I want an old AC removed from my rumpus room and the hole patched up. The exterior cladding has asbestos. Is the hole able to be patched up or will any modification require complete removal of asbestos?(something I want to avoid due to cost)

The aim is to avoid releasing asbestos fibres from bonded asbestos, so I guess if you can do the job while achieving that, you can leave the asbestos in place. I think it is possible because it looks like there is nothing attaching the air conditioner to the outside wall, so it should just slip out once the inside architrave is removed and the electricity is disconnected. My only hesitation is not knowing what dust is behind that wall, below and around the air conditioner. That doesn’t change the fact that the wall should be able to stay, but it’s a risk in undertaking the task.
Related
13/10/2023
Renovating new home - Asbestos question

Renovation + Home Improvement

What you are looking at is fibrous plaster, true gypsum, it is cast on horizontal beds with fibers included to give strength. I has no Asbestos in it. Houses before 1985…

8/02/2024
Asbestos?

General Discussion

Damn. Know where I could find some?

2/05/2024
Potential Asbestos?

Renovation + Home Improvement

That brown colour looks like Masonite or hardboard. Get it checked but typically asbestos was used in wet areas and plaster board or Masonite in other areas

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum