Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

Quoting for a renovation?

Page 1 of 1
Hey, not sure if this is the right place to post but hope I can get some feedback. I'm not from Australia but I just moved here recently from Canada and picked up a flooring/reno job for a friend, but not sure if I'm pricing this out accurately for Aussie prices.

His house is about 70 sm, and I am demoing and reinstalling click lock laminate flooring on two storeys and a flight of stairs, all the baseboard and trim around doors and windows (150m), hanging 5 new doors (including machining for hardware) and 5 sets of blinds, and installing aircraft cabling at his stair handrail. I've quoted him $3000 WITHOUT railing but after looking at some of the prices I've seen on this website here, I think that's way too low.

Any thoughts or input?

Thanks.
Are you supplying materials?

Kind Regards

James Mason - Our Build.

www.renovationjunkies.com.au

www.ourbuildhandyman.com.au
Good point, no I am not.
fatalle424
Good point, no I am not.

It really comes down to what your time is worth. Have decided on your hourly rate and laid out an estimate of time for each task?

Generally if it's labour only I'd calc time for floor seperate, stairs seperate, doors etc, etc. Once u have you a total estimated amount of hours times that by your rate ( generally here in Sydney that will range between $75 - $95 per hour if you are licensed and insured, and based on your experience). Don't forget to add in a few extra hours for those unforseen items as well.

Once you have your total then add a 20 - 30% margin on top to cover your profit.

With out seeing the job it sounds like at least a weeks worth of work, so I'd say you may be a bit light on, but then again if it's for a mate then mates rates need to apply

Good luck with it!

Kind Regards

James Mason - Our Build.

www.renovationjunkies.com.au

www.ourbuildhandyman.com.au
Related
29/06/2023
Renovation/Extension at Auchenflower, Brisbane.

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hello Josh, This is Irving from PRIMA, we are a manufacturer of the staircase, railings, kitchen cabinets, windows, doors from China. If you have requirement to purchase…

6/07/2023
Renovation on a budget

Renovation + Home Improvement

Coming back to your old stomping grounds, huh? Renovations on a budget can be quite the journey. It's like giving your house a new lease on life. The twist of not knowing…

9/08/2023
Kitchen Renovation: DIY vs Resurfacing vs New Kaboodle

General Discussion

Assuming the structure of your cabinetry is good then I would DIY everything as follows: - replace your counter tops entirely, - replace all drawer runners with soft close…

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum