Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

Renovating attic space above garage

Page 1 of 1
Hello,

I want to renovate/modify the space above my attic. Its not too big but big enough to store things in there. I would like to remove some beams going up and down and possibly adding other ones to replace them and adding plywood for flooring. I have attached photos to explain what the heck im talking about. Green means to add and red means to remove. Red question mark means I would like to remove but ok with leaving it there.

Please let me know if I can remove them and what to replace them with and also if it is ok to add plywood flooring. If the beams have to stay there can I still add the plywood flooring?

Playing around with roofing structure without knowing what you're doing can be very dangerous. Doubly so when you're intending to put a floor where there wasn't one before (it's not just the live loads of whatever you're intending to do, it's also the dead loading of the floor itself), and where it's unlikely that the original structure was engineered for that use.

My strong advice is to consult a structural engineer before planning anything - they'll be able to let you know what you can and can't do.
Agreed with first comment, consultant a structural engineer.

Kind Regards

James Mason - Our Build.

www.renovationjunkies.com.au

www.ourbuildhandyman.com.au
Related
31/01/2024
Enclosing the space above kitchen cabinets question

Kitchen Corner

You can really use anything you want the main consideration would be how it looks once painted/finished - or the look you want. Cabinetmakers use MDF because its cheap…

13/10/2023
Renovating new home - Asbestos question

Renovation + Home Improvement

What you are looking at is fibrous plaster, true gypsum, it is cast on horizontal beds with fibers included to give strength. I has no Asbestos in it. Houses before 1985…

14/06/2023
Brick movement above damp proof course

General Discussion

Have look at your house plans and you will probably find that brick articulation joint has been missed. Maximum allowable spacing is 6M or 5.5M for a wall with window…

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum