Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

Ceiling support

Page 1 of 1
Hello! Can anyone give me some info on a type of roof support called a 'Tom'? I want to knock down two small walls in my kitchen, but have been told that I have one of these supports on the corner of these two walls and it's basically holding the whole roof up?? I can't find anything on the net about them. Thanks!
Otherwise known as a strut supporting an underpurlin.
https://www.dlsweb.rmit.edu.au/toolbox/ ... purlin.gif
They usually go down onto a wall like yours do but sometimes if that isn't possible the load can be taken by a beam that transfers it onto the walls as in that image I link to.
It's not a big job to change how the underpurlin is supported but that depends a lot on the configuration of your existing roof and walls.

Stewie
Thanks Stewie, so I could just move the strut? I thought the position of it was odd... it's on the corner of two walls that make up a pantry and oven stack - it doesn't seem like it would be a sturdy spot? (But I know nothing
!)
As long as you move it so that the underpurlin is still supported and the base of the strut is bearing over a wall plate and stud then you could move it ( with certain caveats ). A photo of the strut and underpurlin in question plus the top plates of the wall would help.

Stewie
Related
14/06/2023
Rusting support columns

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Thank you for the advice, I'll give this a go

8/05/2024
Builder wants to build new ceiling over defective ceiling

Building A New House

Thank you @ashington Homes for your reply! They just got back to me and offered credit for me to just take it as is. It was a less than quotes I got from ceiling…

17/06/2023
How to remove ceiling air con vent?

General Discussion

How do you remove one of these ceiling air con vents? And is it possible to disconnect the duct joined to the vent from inside the house, without going into the roof cavity?

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum