Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

Advice/feedback/ideas sought on floor plan layout tweaks!

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

I'm in that common scenario of owning a nice house in a location we like, but being an older home that's had some additions over time, it has some little design/flow issues that bug me. I feel like I've got a pretty good feel for design, but always good to seek second opinions to identify things you haven't considered, better approaches, etc!

I will point out also that I'm in a regional area, and the value of the house is such that it's not economically smart to sink too many $ into significant extensions, as much as I'd love to extend to the rear to make use of the elevated Northern aspect!

Current floorplan layout:
http://pinterest.com/pin/341851427943787317/

The key concerns with current layout (image linked above) are as follows:
- Bedroom 3 is somewhat isolated and accessed via the rear laundry area
- Study is an internal room with no natural light (the entire rear section was an "add on")
- Front entrance location renders the little entrance area a bit of a waste. It's also open living/kitchen area and is a little... exposed? Confronting?
- The block is (almost) south facing, so the northern aspect (to the rear) is largely wasted

Option 1:
http://pinterest.com/pin/341851427943787322/

Initial thoughts for a very simple tweak to the layout which involves:
- Open the study up with a wider doorway/opening, making it more of a small retreat (study nook, couple of small armchairs and TV on the wall so our daughters (8 & 9) can watch a movie in there etc)
- Change access to the rear bedroom so it's via this shared kid's retreat/study area
- Ideally re-locate the front door so it's facing the rear of the house. Still opens into view of the open living/kitchen are BUT flows better in terms of a natural path running between the lounge & dining area meaning it feels less like you walk straight through the lounge from the entrance. Consideration to the fact that the switchboard is currently in the position of the proposed new location for front door... but board is due for upgrade, and also considering solar panel installation, so may be time to bite the bullet and get it all done in one go!

Addresses the isolated access to Bedroom 3, goes some way to making the study less of a dark internal dungeon room, and entrance flow would be somewhat improved I believe, if the front door was re-located.

Option 2:
http://pinterest.com/pin/341851427943787329/

Alternatively, a little more involved, but still not overly significant change which involves:
- Extend the rear bedroom out to the eave line. This adds an extra ~400mm of floor space which probably just makes it big enough to become the master bedroom.
- Close access to WIR/Ensuite from former master bedroom, and open access from new rear Master.
- Would work best with relocation of the toilet into the main bathroom, allowing the laundry to also move.
- Again, would look at something to address the location/flow from entrance.

Advantage here of giving the master bedroom some separation from the kid's bedrooms, who would essentially have their own little wing (2 bedrooms + study/retreat + family bathroom). Master bedroom taking advantage of the northern aspect, and being closer to outdoor entertaining makes sense too.

Sorry for being long winded... over to you for any feedback!
For your study room issue a sky light could be an effective option to get more natural light into the room.
Probably option 3. But having to go to the master via the kitchen and laundry isn't ideal.
Option 2 isn't good with access to bed 3 via the kids retreat.
The new entrance is a must.

The only other thing I can think of is moving kitchen to bed 3. Turning dining room into bed 3 and current kitchen space becomes dining. But all that may be too costly.
d@n
Probably option 3. But having to go to the master via the kitchen and laundry isn't ideal.
Option 2 isn't good with access to bed 3 via the kids retreat.
The new entrance is a must.

The only other thing I can think of is moving kitchen to bed 3. Turning dining room into bed 3 and current kitchen space becomes dining. But all that may be too costly.

I like that idea, you would have a nice big kitchen opening onto the back. Yes, more costly.

Moving the kitchen is definitely a thought. Just not sure if it would end up feeling a bit small and isolated. It would need to be opened up a lot more to ensure it flowed into the dining/living.

damienh7
Moving the kitchen is definitely a thought. Just not sure if it would end up feeling a bit small and isolated. It would need to be opened up a lot more to ensure it flowed into the dining/living.

The original plans didn't extend to show what's beyond the main house roof line, but there is actually a large, elevated deck (approx. 4.9m x 4.9m) at the rear (northern) side of the house. Kitchen/living flowing out to that would be the ideal solution, but getting into more significant extension territory.

Related
7/10/2023
Floor plan feedback

Building A New House

Hi there! Absolutely agree on the wasted space. We have no desire for the master to be that oversized, but it occurred when we increased the depth of the garage. We have…

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum