Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

First Investment property: What can to improve frontage?

Page 1 of 1
Hi there,
Just bought my first investment property in Victoria and want to improve the appeal from the front so renters are not put off when they drive up.
What can be done to improve this? Its a 1960's 4 bedroom house. Many thanks!
The thought of mowing all that lawn would put me off. LOL

I'd be looking at some shrub beds. Not too good looking for the first year or two but OK after that.
Paint in a warm colour (Hog Bristle??). Maybe put a small garden to the right of the verandah to break it up a bit. Doesn't have to be anything fancy, a bit of an edging and some bark with a fee small natives.
Could you put some siding (?) on it? So it looks like a weatherboard house? Like this?

But yep, some gardens would be good and at least a different colour. I also like those modern screens that you could put up on the porch area. Seen these?
It looks country. It helps to know where it is and what direction the front faces. What direction does the weather mainly come from?

The first impression is that it has a good footprint. Property investment is a long term strategy and the emphasis should always be on the land content as land appreciates, buildings depreciate. If it is country, you are probably concentrating more on yield but some country areas will soon also be realising capital growth.

Initial thoughts:

I would keep the grass away from the building by putting in a wide low maintenance curved garden around the front perimeter. The bed could have a feature shrub perhaps 1.5 - 2 metres out from the corner where the funny looking downpipe is as this area of garden bed would be quite wide.

I would paint the downpipe the same colour as the house.

Choose shrubs that complement the house colour but don't have them too close.

I would replace the board that's missing on the bottom right of the porch.

I would disguise the plainness of the three front windows by having awnings or similar fitted, the styling depending on the house orientation and the area. Make them cute and friendly!

I would also paint the three window frames a contrasting but complementing colour to the house. The current salmon or whatever it is looks terrible.

It is hard to judge the condition of the paintwork on the house.

I would then paint the porch posts and all of the bottom boards on the porch and house the same colour as the windows.

The porch could also have the same coloured lattice or similar on 2.5 sides. The wide garden bed with a planting suited to the area would further compliment the front of the porch.

A large kidney shaped low maintenance mounded front garden bed would replace much of the lawn and also provide for a feature tree on the driveway side. Follow the contour of the other curved garden bed.

If the driveway can be widened to a double at the gate, this would appeal to tenants with more than one car.

None of the above is expensive to do.
Maybe put a matching architrave around the smaller window on the right to tie it all in. And those merbau horizontal slats on the western side of the front veranda.
+1 SaveH2o has it mostly covered but I'd add

1. Give the floor boards at the entrance a rough sand and a varnish or oil, that will add a little bling (hard to tell if its painted or natural).
2. There is a lot of grass. Tenants would hate having to mow all that. Make some low maintenance garden areas with drought resistant plants with pine bark mulch or something simular.
3. Make sure that you have some wick inside that house so it smells fresh and not old.
Related
3/08/2023
Building on a Block with Large Frontage

Building A New House

Thanks. this looks really nice.

1/05/2024
House Designs making use of wide (~ 20m) frontage

Building A New House

Yes, Im following your Lindfield build, looks amazing.

15/08/2023
Is this a bad situation - easement and manhole on property

General Discussion

You might be able to apply to divert the sewer at your expense. In NSW you would contact a Water services co-ordinator and they would give you advice as to whether or not…

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum