Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

Which shade of 50 greys?

Page 1 of 3
Hi All,
We need some help!!!! Im trying to pick colours for the exterior of our home and Im not winning....
I have so many greys, greigh, and everything in between I'm lost.

Im on here reading...'lurking'...about other struggling with the whole grey debate also.....
My problem seems to be they either look to blue or Purple...

Here is our house now......boring and well over due for make over.....(you cant see in this pick but i have grey's everywhere..lol..)

Here are some pics we like....

and

and (love gloss black door!)

so as you can see we like that little darker shade of grey....not us but for our house...

Front door= gloss black
Windows, timber cross beams? up top and other details= white

We've tried timless grey...a bit too blue, stepney, a little dark, silkwort too light and many more.....
was going to try next.....
Dulux: flooded gum?,
Taubmans: foxdale?, grey moggy?,
Resene; stack?, Tapa full or half?,

Please please help..........

Many thanks.....Kat & Bri
Is Dulux Guild Grey too dark??

Hi Michelle,
Thank you for your suggestion I will check it out for sure......I was quietly hoping that you would see my question as you seem to be the colour guru....

It may be a litttle dark for hubby,(I prefer the 2nd pic which this would be close too, Hubby prefers pic 1 slightly lighter)
Would you have any lighter suggestions or thoughts?

That way I can grab a few at once.....

My concern with the darker colour are that it will blend to much with our driveway......

We were thinking of doing a wood/rust?? colour garage door to pull the colour from the original porch tiles which have grey and terracotta colourings......any thought on this? Or do we just stick with the white??

Many thanks again and I will look forward to your reply....

Kat n Bri
Our home is Taubmans Foxdale, it is lighter then the the homes in your pictures.

You can see it here, our front door is Colorbond Ironstone.
Hi Rellie, Your house looks great....

Do you find your colour throws any other colour?
We found with the lighter colours they were to purple or blue thats why we decided to go a bit darker.....

Ive been on the net all day......im going nuts....lol

Found some gorg colours but they are all USA colours....

Martha stewar: Flagship, Cant find RGB values so i cant check....
Benjamin Moore: Rockport Gray, which Ive found I think to be similar to dulux: warm granite??
Sherwin williams: Dovetail, similar to Dulux: Bygone?, Sandgrass Green?, And a bit darker but similar Stepney?

I was hoping to get a straight? colour so if we needed more there couldnt be any mistakes when mixing as aposed to 1/2 or 3/4 etc....

So hard....

Looking forward to any other ideas and or pics...
Thanks all Kat n Bri
Did you really find Stepney too dark? I have an external feature wall in it plus the letterbox and it doesn't seem dark at all
Here's a few for you

Thanks Suh for all the pics.........we do like stepney our concern is over the whole house it may be too heavy?? unlike the pics you sent where it was used as a feature.
Our house does have alot of details which we will be painting white/off white??? so this will also lift the grey. Im going to go out over the next week and try and paint larger sections.....

I think Im also going to grab sample pots of
Flooded gum, warm granite, wistow
and thinking of doing a trip into melb (1.5hrs away) to get some resene colours, stack,tapa and maybe half tapa.

just want to get it right as its a huge job, we dont want to be doing it again for another 10-15yrs......lol

Keep ideas flowing because im all out....

Kat n Bri
Dulux Tranquil retreat?
No probs knb, I shall keep my eyes open for more greys
I'm on a mission, some Tranquil Retreat

This next one is half Tranquil Retreat
Wow Suh. You are awesome,

we have tried Tranquil retreat and it just washed out on our place, too light. Our house is facing west i dont know if that makes any difference.....

Ive just been on a wattyl brochure site thing and saw some nice colour combos painted a little different than i was going to do....instead of painting the top 'beams'(in roof peak) white they were painted the same as main house colour then the colour behind these beams (rough render in roof peak) was a lighter colour ie:

Main house colour was Bushland as were top beams
Render between these top beams was old papyrus
other features and windows were tranquil white

Not saying i want these colours but it made we look at another option for highligting the features.

So if i put this painting pattern to greys I think that would work....

ie
main: Flooded gum/stepney/timeless grey/warm granite/ tapa/half tapa or the like....lol
lighter higlighter colour: shale grey/1/4 tapa/silkwort or the like.....

lightest: tranquil white/ethereal white or I havent actually looked into white...lol

Im sure this is clear as mud....
....any idea of somewhere i can play with these colours on my pic?

I need to go to bed so I can NOT sleep and dream of grey's.........

Kat n Bri
knb
Hi Rellie, Your house looks great....

Do you find your colour throws any other colour?
We found with the lighter colours they were to purple or blue thats why we decided to go a bit darker.....

No, it seems to be a pretty 'neutral' grey. I had many sleepless nights trying to decide on the 'perfect' grey.......Dulux Silkwort is beautiful but probably too light for what you are wanting.
Your post just made me go cross-eyed knb
another lost soul
hehe

rellie your house is really nice
it's always a plus to go with something you can see beforehand.

knb, we have three colours on our house, main colour is Heifer (pale grey), feature wall & letter box Stepney (you know it) & feature blades & garage Surfmist. Remember that the light drains colour so dark won't look as dark. People always call our house "white" & the Stepney letterbox looks quite pale in the sun. We face east.
Morning all......Yes silkwort is lovely too, we have that as well......im thinking i might tip them all together and go with that colour........
Probably have enough to paint the house that way.....

Here is a very bad paint edit i just slapped together, I havent done a lighter one yet will do a few this arvo....
I entered the RGB as Resene Tapa 124,124,114 .....honest thoughts??......

Just to get a bit of an idea......we like the dramatic of the mid to dark, there is not alot of houses like ours so we think we can get away with it, also because of its propotions......but we dont want it to be yucky either....

Thank you all for your continued thoughts and ideas....im sure we will get there....

Kat n Bri
LOL LOL LOL i told you it was as clear as mud.......thats why i did a very bad mock up of colours......yes i would love to just one of you wonderful ppls house colours and just go with it, but as you all know, you know when its right
I think it suits your house knb
what a quaint little home
quaint meaning cute
Michelle's suggestion Guild Grey might be the one to get that look
Thanks Suh, we love it also, tho it still needs alot of work........slowly slowly catch the monkey they say.......

Ive had a look at guild grey however it is way too blue....Thanks anyway Michelle......

Ive been playing with my silly paint thing and here is the house in Timeless grey with white up top beams instead of house colour..

And here is a lighter grey.....

What are your thought now??? I know its really hard from these pics

Oh i also grabed a sample pot of foxtail and timeless grey in 3/4 but its to hot to paint ATM, will slap some up this evening..

I'll ahve to post a pic of all my greys.......

Kat n Bri
Related
29/09/2023
Timber or carpet on first floor- which looks good ?

General Discussion

Thank you. Do I use timber floorboards for stairs or do people use timber treads? Or is both the same?

26/10/2023
Which glass for stacker doors

Windows & Doors

What do you need them to withstand? If it's normal wear and tear, then either will do, if you want resistance to ingress then laminated would be the favourite, but only…

21/12/2023
Which chrome tapwares in Myhomeware northrocks Sydney

Bathrooms and Laundry

Which chrome tapwares is a good affordable brand with a good warranty in Myhomeware shop Sydney. I visited the shop and they…

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum