Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

How good/safe is Flat roof?

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

I am in the process of looking for building a new house and found the Rawson homes Edge design to be very attractive (though very expensive
)

Just wondering how safe is the flat roof (as shown in the http://www.rawsonhomes.net.au/home-desi ... M57G0I3C5I )

The Edge Elite facade has more than $ 52K price tag. Not sure if this is because Flat roof is expensive or it is because of the difference in the material used to cover the front part.

Any input highly appreciated.

Regds,
Adams
A flat or semi-flat roof with the right profile of roof sheeting is fine.

What's not 'safe' is when walls are extended up to hide the roof profile and then have a concealed box gutter behind the wall. While builders say that they don’t leak, homes with box gutters that I’ve looked at buying before deciding to build, all had evidence of water damage due box gutters above.

The facade you linked to will be fine if roof profile behind the walls drains away from the parapets.

Good luck!
or if your building in an area where it snows
I'm not a big fan of a flat, or flat looking, roof.

In my opinion they are either very expensive and/or are at high risk of water damage to the rooms below(for more see http://www.anewhouse.com.au/?p=3579)
Phillip Murray
Flat roofs have some distinct advantages over their sloped counterparts. One of the most obvious advantages is that flat roofs are easier to climb up on and inspect. Although any excursion to the roof should be dealt with using care and caution, flat roofs offer significantly more stability and horizontal surface than sloped roofs do. Another benefit of flat roofs is that they are cheaper to re-coat and install than sloped roofs. However, this is a tricky point, because flat roofs need to be re-coated and sealed every few years to help them maintain their integrity and prevent leaks. If the roof is not properly cared for, there can be a need for replacement much sooner which would make a sloped roof actually more cost effective.

As written in roofer911.com.
You're onto this guy again JJ !
We can't get away with anything on this forum

Stewie
Every time I've seen somewhere with a flat roof I've heard of never ending leaks, I'd never do it.

your probably right, it is maintenance, but who wants to do any work on the roof
Not at all. If you have a competent roofer and/or builder supervising then you won't have any problems. A lot of the issues arise from the design side where there is not enough room ( usually height ) for a decent box gutter or flashings.
Get this right from the get go and that is half your problems solved.

Stewie
to be fair, all my issues with horizontal roof's leaking are generally due to bad workmanship of people installing things after the fact (so tradies stuffing up the sealing or causing leaks by drilling things into the roof and not sealing adequately around them, or the sealant not lasting) but how often do you hear of this on a normal roof? they are pretty bullet proof.
A mate - across the road in my old place - never stops complaining about it. Mainly the cleaning side. He mentioned leaks but its mainly the leaves etc. It looks good though.
Depending on how it's done it's very hard to add in wiring/systems in the roof as well, that's where you get tradies making holes in the roof to throw stuff on top and causing leaks
Related
26/12/2023
Granny Flat + Studio

Building A New House

I would suggest you simply go and talk to council about your proposal, most councils are getting onboard with ancillary dwellings. There is no benefit in keeping it…

31/12/2023
Backyard retreat or Granny Flat?

Renovation + Home Improvement

I think I know the answer but just checking to see if anyone has had experience with it. I want to build a small 20 square metre retreat in my backyard, it will have a…

24/01/2024
My granny flat build journey

Owner Builder Forum

Any advice on how to ensure the kit home granny flat that im thinking of buying will get council approval. The kit home companys wont release plans without a deposit and…

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum