Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

WHAT ORDER TO RENOVATE IN

Page 1 of 1
Hi All

I have bought a property and it is currently tenanted until Jan 2013.
I have from roughly end of Jan to start of May so roughly 3-4 months in finishing renos in time for my fiance and I to move in.

The below are the things i need to do and am a little unsure it what order things should be tackled in:

1. Pull out old kitchen and get someone to build new one (Plumbing to stay the same)
2. Demolish main bathroom, ensuite, toilet and rebuild (Plumbing to stay the same)
3. Demolish laundry and rebuild (new cabinetry)
3. Paint all walls and ceilings including mantle piece
4. Replace a few doors around the house (ensuite, formal lounge, front door and security door, linen cupboard)
5. Change 3 lighting pendants and place a couple of wall lights/scones
6. Polish all floorboards (whole house is floorboards except for bathrooms and laundry)
7. Add any additional power points needed
8. We also have a little study area that the we are thinking the kitchen guys can rebuild for us (build desk and drawers etc)
9. Install new blinds

I would appreciate some feedback.

Cheers
Jim
If you can organise to get the kitchen people in to measure up before the tenants move out, do that as it takes at least 4 weeks to get it made.

Get started on the bathroom as that takes the most time also (rip out, waterproof, tile, grout etc) It's not a quick job. And that's if the tiler can come on consecutive days.

Powerpoints and lights before painting.

I klike to paint the kitchen before it goes in. Saves cutting in. Always do ceilings first with any painting.

We polish floorboards last but some people prefer to do it before the kitchen goes in. You just leave the kickboards off then replace after floor is polished.

It won't take anywhere near 3 months if you're organised and arrange tradies beforehand. You can also save quite a bit of money by stripping the kitchen, bathroom and laundry yourself.
Thanks Travelbug. Makes sense!
I am assuming Blinds are the very last thing to be installed?
Obviously pull apart the old ones prior to painting as i may need to putty any holes from the rails.
Quote:
We polish floorboards last but some people prefer to do it before the kitchen goes in. You just leave the kickboards off then replace after floor is polished.

A better job is to get the floorsander in after the kitchen rough-in has been done and give the floor a sand and sometimes a first coat before the cupboards go in. After the kitchen is complete get the floorsander back in to finish the job.
As long as you use decent drop sheets on the floor for protection and the kitchen installer takes care you should be good to go.

Stewie
Stewie D
Quote:

A better job is to get the floorsander in after the kitchen rough-in has been done and give the floor a sand and sometimes a first coat before the cupboards go in. After the kitchen is complete get the floorsander back in to finish the job.
As long as you use decent drop sheets on the floor for protection and the kitchen installer takes care you should be good to go.

Stewie

Everytime you overlap tradies you run the risk of lost days. Say you do that, then you lose 2 days waiting for the floor to dry (what do you say to the kitchen guys? hang on come back at my convenience?).
I like to have it finished and then the floor guys have free reign.

Yes JWB. Take the old ones down and putty holes. You can just put sheets up (small thumb tack on top will hold up for privacy). Order beforehand so you are not waiting. Then ring them with an installation date closer to the time.

Organisation is the key. I've seen friends do a reno in 5 weeks that we have done in a week. We reno a whole house (kitchen, bathroom, paint, flooring in 5 weeks).
Quote:
Everytime you overlap tradies you run the risk of lost days. Say you do that, then you lose 2 days waiting for the floor to dry (what do you say to the kitchen guys? hang on come back at my convenience?).
I like to have it finished and then the floor guys have free reign.

You end up with a better job and no nicks or marks on the finished kitchen kickboards.
That's just my personal preference of the way to do it. Others like you obviously have theirs.
There are always other rooms to work on while the lacquer dries on the floor and it is after all just the first coat. It's not like the whole job comes to a screaming stop.

Stewie
I never have marks on my skirtings.

If you have a kitchen installer in I'm sure he'd be happy to "do other jobs" while waiting for the floor to dry??

As you said- everyone has their own way. Mine has worked for me on all my reno's. Also most we have polished the whole house (except bedrooms) so much easier to have everyone out.
Quote:

I never said skirtings , I'm talking about the kickboards in the kitchen.

Quote:
If you have a kitchen installer in I'm sure he'd be happy to "do other jobs" while waiting for the floor to dry??

Kitchen installer waiting for the floor to dry ?
Huh... You rip the old kitchen out , do the rough-in then get the floors sanded and one coat on, then you install the kitchen. Where is the waiting involved for the installer ?

Stewie
Stewie D
Quote:

I never said skirtings , I'm talking about the kickboards in the kitchen. I meant kickboards. Sorry

Quote:

Kitchen installer waiting for the floor to dry ?
Huh... You rip the old kitchen out , do the rough-in then get the floors sanded and one coat on, then you install the kitchen. Where is the waiting involved for the installer ?

Stewie

The floor doesn't dry in 5 minutes when you do one coat. What do you mean by rough in? That's where the confusion is I think. Do you mean plumbing etc if so then yes I get it, the kitchen guys won't even be there.
Strip the kitchen then rough-in ( shift H & C water pipes to new location, gas pipe to new location , wires in wall moved/added to new location etc ).

Stewie
Related
26/08/2023
renovate bathroom remove step up into ensuite

Bathrooms and Laundry

the step up is 30mm and wanting it to be flat . how much does the concrete have to be lowered .we plan on removing bath and lenghten shower and adding seat. the old bath…

10/01/2024
To Knockdown and Rebuild or Renovate?

General Discussion

if the original house is in good condition most of what you listed could be added in stages without the need for KDR and costs and disruption of having to live elsewhere…

28/06/2023
NCAT Order Breached

General Discussion

I am new to this forum so please bear with me. An NCAT order was breach by our neighbour regarding a retaining wall dispute. He is the owner of a building company and he…

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum