Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

Putting Colorbond over concrete roof tiles

Page 1 of 1
Hi

New here so go easy please , I have a concrete tiled roof that I want to replace with colorbond I was writing about this on another solar panel related forum ( there are 24 panels on the roof plus apricus hotwater system ) and someone suggested to lay battens and then put the colorbond on leaving the tiles there . This would 1. save removing the tile and 2. add to the R value of the roof .

Roof strength would be one issue are there any other issue I should think about ? I have two skylights and two domes ?

Cheers
David
Never heard of anyone doing this before and I'm not sure its a good idea. It would be a big job to fix the battens down over the roof tiles and would most likely end up cracking a lot of them. The roof will also be too high for the fascia and gutters.
Yeah well i talked to the roofer today and it could be done and hes roofed over absetos but all the issues like raising the gutter line , engineering for the extra weight even maybe council approval becuase of raising the roof line come into it , mean its easier just to remove the tiles .

Thanks for the reply Flatlined .

David
Related
9/01/2024
Leak through concrete after putting frames up

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Are you doing this with a building permit? Conversion of a non habitable room into a habitable room requires building permit.

2/01/2024
Concrete roof tiles - is this normal?

General Discussion

Do you have solar on the roof, because if its not a laying defect it looks almost like someone has been walking all over the roof in the mid section of the tile (weakest…

17/08/2023
26 year old Colorbond roof. Repaint or replace?

Renovation + Home Improvement

Your house roof does not show rusting other than some surface rust on the flashings. In my opinion you dont need to replace or paint the roof other than treat surface rust…

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum