Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

(Another) garage conversion advice thread

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

Apologies - I know there is plenty out there on this but struggling to put together the puzzle.

We're planning our garage/external laundry to master bedroom and bathroom conversion. I'm getting a lot of mixed advice on what is and isn't required regarding conversion to a habitable space. I've attached existing floor plans, the future planned designs as well as the original 1970's building file.

Basic information:

I can't get a definitive answer on what I need to do to the floor to have it meet code.

I've gone through a few iterations of planning, one with a raised floor and one with working with the existing slab height (design plans just say "slab to engineers specifications".

Ideally I'm looking to avoid raising the floor height as while there is plenty of ceiling height, I want to avoid messing with any of the door/lintel heights.

Do I need to rip up the existing slab or can I place a vapour barrier on top, followed by some levelling compound to get the floor level? If so, does this even need engineer specifications?

Related
22/05/2024
Garage conversion

Renovation + Home Improvement

I have a 3.5m*5.5m garage, connected to the house under the same roof. I talked to a handyman, and he quoted $9K for: cut the wall and install a…

12/12/2023
Rumpus conversion to a master with ensuite

Renovation + Home Improvement

From the information posted it looks to me your rumpus room is nothing more than extended garage. That will present a number of challenges. Single brick wall between…

27/02/2024
Shed conversion

Owner Builder Forum

Because it only states 90mm not if it’s 45mm or 35mm and yes I do have the plans my question was specifically since it’s not the structural value and only to hold…

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum