Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

Roof Load Width Needed

Page 1 of 1
Hi i am wanting to change a bedroom into a double garage. its 6 x6m, was originally a double garage on plans but we made a bedroom when building the house.

Im trying to work out what LVL would be required for a 5m opening?

i have tiled roof, 90x35 stud frame.

i have attached plans of house showing roof outline also indicating its only jack rafters load bearing on the wall i want to remove.

Any help to calculate my RLW is greatly appreciated. Thanks Jase.
What is the area of your roof? You could use roughly 100 kg/m2 as a calculation basis for the tiled roof.
If your roof area is 300 sqm, its total weight (with structure) will be around 30 ton. Divide by roof perimeter (e.g. 60 m) and you get the load per linear meter (e.g. 500 kg/m in my example).

But if there is a chance of snow load in your region (e.g. alpine), then the calculations will be different.
Any structural alteration to your home requires building permit. Before you get it you will have to supply plans with structural assessment, you will also be removing walls and possibly bracing which will affect lateral stability
Related
18/05/2024
structural engineer for load bearing walls / columns

Renovation + Home Improvement

just ask a carpenter/ builder, if they are unsure they will get the engineer to advise.

23/11/2023
Maximum Garage Width - Narrow Lot (Willoughby Council NSW)

Building A New House

Thanks again for this information. If you do hear anything different, would be great to know >

14/03/2024
PCA needed for EBH or Tyrell is good enough

Building A New House

Most of the time, council will push you out to a private certifier as it ties up their limited resources. Where a builder has gone belly up, the certifier passes the file…

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum