Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

Plumbing variation

Page 1 of 1
I have completed a owner build at home. Plumber gave me a quote. I told him in the day that there will be a couple of extra things that I would like done like capping some gutters and a new flashing at the back of the build. I then received an invoice for nearly 3 times the amount of his quote but there was no mention of variation quote, time frame approx or costings approx. he was telling me its a verbal agreement and he charges accordingly. I have asked him for an itemised invoiced but have received nothing back and it been a week now. On this invoice there was also a lot of other stuff that was done like pointing and flashings that should of been on his original quote as it was an extension him being the professional should of known this. Do I have any leg to stand on here. I happy to pay him at least 75% of it but not all of it.
should have gotten a written quote.
ponzutwo
should have gotten a written quote.

Well that’s what I thought but because since I have gone as a owner builder and the fact he has only done roof plumbing it falls under the single trade act and basically don’t have a leg to stand on. If it goes to court it can go either way. My lawyer said to give an offer and see if he accepts it.
just tell him you want to pay him but need an itemised account, if not provided pay him what was quoted plus what done extra.

You deserve to understand why it varied so much and if you’ve taken steps to pay the ball is in his court. ultimately you have the money so he needs to play ball.
Pulse
just tell him you want to pay him but need an itemised account, if not provided pay him what was quoted plus what done extra.

You deserve to understand why it varied so much and if you’ve taken steps to pay the ball is in his court. ultimately you have the money so he needs to play ball.

He has already got his lawyer onto it and sent me a demand letter
Not sure how much the job was worth but you need to provide contracts if doing works over certain values by law. in NSW any works above $5000 requires a written cotract. Maybe this is an avenue if they have not followed the state regulations to negotiate.
Pulse

Thats fine, but he still needs to provide an account of the wroks. otherwise you could judt demand whatever for whatever. Im ptetty sure his lawyer will not progress if he learns from you that youre still waiting for the actual invoice covering the itemisedworks and costs
Related
20/06/2023
Builder has not done something - can I ask for a variation f

Building A New House

I work with owner, he/she is my man on the ground and I instruct them when to visit the site and take photos and I have other tools in the bag.

8/07/2023
Variation in white tile colour

Renovation + Home Improvement

Looking for advice on whether this variation in tile colour is acceptable. The large tile on the left was used in my main bathroom renovation 1 year ago. My ensuite…

12/09/2023
Can a variation dispute hold up handover?

Building A New House

yes it does, you've just not understood it. theres a difference.

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum