Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

Replace roof, raise wall height vs extend

Page 1 of 1
We have an old 1960's 2 story red brick house on a large 1500 sqm block and are looking at options to renovate. Ceiling heights are a major issue as we want to flip living area to downstairs (currently a low celiing garage/rumpus), and replace garage doors with glass panels/sliders to open to outdoor living area....

We also want to replace old brick/tile roof to a more modern/flat roofline or camoflage it somehow.

Option One - is to create a void in the top floor of the house and relocate bedrooms to a new "wing" extending the footprint of the house. Keep existing roof and update eves.

Option Two - is to gut the entire top floor of house, remove roof and extend walls up 2 metres and then reinstall flooring with a 3 mtr roof height downstairs living, 2.7 mtr upstairs bedroom.

Hope this makes sense.

Am I crazy? I am wondering if anyone has considered anything similar and if there is a significant cost differential?
Thanks so much in advance.

It will be cheaper to knock it down and start again.
You will also end up with a better product that is designed from the start to fit exactly what you want rather than trying to "make"something work.
ok thanks - yes was wondering if that should have been listed as Option Three!
Related
9/04/2024
Colorbond roof can you extend its life?

General Discussion

You should pressure clean your roof first and make sure the paint you buy also is anti mould.

17/08/2023
26 year old Colorbond roof. Repaint or replace?

Renovation + Home Improvement

Your house roof does not show rusting other than some surface rust on the flashings. In my opinion you dont need to replace or paint the roof other than treat surface rust…

20/09/2023
Does this concrete perimeter raise any concern? Help please!

Paving & Concreting

i had the my concreters concrete right up to the fence. I have pits all along my path, so the water tends to drain away from the house and into the pits. There's only one…

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum