Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

Stormwater system

Page 1 of 1
Hello everyone. I am a new member and this is my first time posting.
I checked almost all available topics on stormwater system however didn't find answer to issue I have.

I need to know correct procedure on building a new stormwater system and estimated costs. I have an existing easement at my backyard and when I talked to my local council (Blacktown NSW) they said I have the rights to connect to that easement as it is inside my property and I can just ask my plumber to connect to that. Is it that simple? I am hearing it has to be designed first and then plumber will build based on that design.

Any help and advise will be greatly appreciated.
rizi25
I need to know correct procedure on building a new stormwater system and estimated costs. I am hearing it has to be designed first and then plumber will build based on that design.
Any help and advise will be greatly appreciated.

See if you can find at Hydraulics 3D Bim guy (Design Engineer).
They can design, certify and provide data and estimates. Then get 3 plumbers to quote
OT, I checked out a processing plant being built here last week the futures already here, mate
Pity engineering forums aren't open to the public, plenty of graduates looking for extra weekend cash
Talk to a drainer (or three) and ask for a quote.

It is that simple!
I've been told that it needs to be designed by Engineer and then plumber and/or drainer will install. I don't want to pay extra for the design fee if it's not necessary.
That must be a council requirement then which is very unusual if it is a bog standard system.

Stormwater just needs a 1:100 fall for the standard run of the mill size pipes (but less for larger pipes), there is nothing to design for the connection to the LPOD. Who told you an engineer has to design it and what classification of engineer did they reference?
SaveH2O
That must be a council requirement then which is very unusual if it is a bog standard system.

Stormwater just needs a 1:100 fall for the standard run of the mill size pipes (but less for larger pipes), there is nothing to design for the connection to the LPOD. Who told you an engineer has to design it and what classification of engineer did they reference?

There's a plumber I talked to and he advised it needs to be designed by a hydraulic engineer before he can lay down pipes and connect to existing easement. I have a company quoted me below.

Fee: $3,600 + GST

Does each council have different requirements? I emailed my local council and asked the question, still waiting for reply though.
Ouch...I've got to put my rates up? (humour)
Try a civil/construction engineer.. shop around
OT, No wonder you guys in sydney can't afford basic housing
Here we bundle the stormwater in the DA application " cheap as chips"
so you know what's included
After you've signed with a builder , that may not be the case
Forewarned is forearmed
Even with the added rigmarole, they are most likely charging for 30 hours work at $120 hr but there isn't 30 hours work in what is described unless artwork costs have gone through the roof.

Hydraulic engineers in general earn about $2.4k per week but company overhead and profit costings can double their hire out fee. You can only shop around for other quotes but look for a private operator who won't rort you on the hours the work requires.
Related
23/07/2023
Fixing cracked stormwater PVC pipe

General Discussion

Plumbers 'can be' plumbers, made all the worse by self certification which the building surveyor invariably accepts as proof of compliance! The good thing is that you know know.

20/09/2023
Water around stormwater drain and concrete

Paving & Concreting

Grab a hose, insert it at the top of the inlet/down pipe and turn the water on and see where the water is escaping from. Then you'll know.

15/01/2024
Finding materials in stormwater drain

General Discussion

in the stormwater pit or the drain? Those dont look like theyd fit in the drain. Separately, the pits do get stuff in them during the course of the build. For the most…

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum