Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

HELP on raising an old Queenslander and building underneath

Page 1 of 1
Hi, we have bought a circa 1950's Queenslander in Bundaberg Qld that is currently on wooden stumps approx 1.9m off the ground. We are wanting to raise the house, replace with steel posts and build underneath. We have had plans drawn up by draftsman which include the stump and room layouts but does not include any concrete footing or slab plans.
We are new to this and hoping someone can help with information on what the next stage of the process is and the best way to go about it.
I understand we have to get the plans certified by an engineer but are we best off going straight to an engineering firm or go to a builder/renovator that I'm assuming would have engineer's they consult with?
Would the engineer design the concrete slab to suit and also design the framing as well or do I have to engage with someone else?
Once the plans are certified at what stage do we need to consult with our local council?
We are not sure just yet where we want power points, lights, fans etc, Do these need to be known right at this stage before we consult with a builder or can this be added in after discussion with builder?

Any help or info would on what we do next will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Wow I guess this isn't the forum for asking actual building questions. You posted this back in June and no one here has any response. I have some building experience but not much with Queenslanders. But I am about to go through the same as you with raising a Queenslander. So from what I understand and it is difficult to get a clear picture, is you can take your plans to an engineer who will spec out the metals needed to raise the house. If you are taking on a builder then yes talk to him, talk to a few if you havent choosen one yet. They will have input and advice and yes might know engineers they have worked with. Not all engineers spec the same! Im not sure what you are looking for with your slab. Unless you are building outside the footprint of the house, the slab will be pretty standard, depending on your soil and elevation though I guess. Usually the draftsmen and even architects put something like your typical section view and then tell your builder to make the decisions based on your land. Once you have all your plans is when you'd put in for your building permit, but unless you are doing a self build your builder will do this.

The old question of light switches, lights and fans. I'd really think hard and even hire a designer who can put a schedule together for all that. You really don't want to be making descions on the fly once walls have been built as it will often result in extra costs.
Related
5/09/2023
Water Underneath Timber Floor

General Discussion

The most likely cause of your timber swelling (parquetry?) is either a plumbing leak or carelessly leaving water on floors after use or both. Without seeing, i am ignoring…

15/12/2023
Hydronic in screed -> insulation underneath necessary or no?

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Currently renovating, and our main lounge is 5m x 10m, with a cathedral roof peaking at 6.5m high. Currently have tiles on concrete slab. Room is very hard to heat. I am…

5/03/2024
cancel old building application

Owner Builder Forum

Thanks for the response! However, it's have been sorted. But for others benefit here is what we had to do. Unfortunately, it's not straightforward. BCC washed their hands…

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum