Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

Building a verandah close to boundary fence

Page 1 of 1
Hi there,

We are planning to build a verandah which is 275MM from the boundary fence. Location is in South East VIC. There is no existing structure opposite the verandah as it's the neighbour's backyard. Our Surveyor has required us to contact council to apply for a consent as we have been told that the proposed verandah does not comply with the side and rear set back. I'm not sure about the side and rear set back regulation but if anyone have encountered the same can you please share some inputs. Did you have to go through Council for this consent?

Thanks
Everything about setbacks is on your local council website, easy to find.

For example in Whitehorse council, everything is on Planning and Building page. There is an interactive map where you are able to click on each land to see its planning zones and overlays.

For my area, the rear setback is 5m from boundary. Council might consider for you to go closer to the fence if it's neighbour's backyard on the other side.

You also need to check if council sees your proposed verandah as a structure to be considered into setback rules.
I'm struggling to find information on the whitehorse site!
Go to your council website and there should be more information on "development" link.
Related
5/04/2024
Fence boundary - New Lot

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

Hi everyone, My lot has just been titled and during the settlement we found that the rear pegs were not visible. We requested for a re-establishment and pegging plan…

10/04/2024
New Fence - Boundary

Building A New House

Hi, It’s important to keep in mind that dividing fences have thickness, so it’s impracticable to expect them to be wholly constructed within the neighbouring…

20/01/2024
Verandah repair - ledger attached to brick

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi, I'll be starting on my verandah repair soon - replace ledger, rafters, roofing iron, flashing etc. (fascia board already done). My question is about the timber ledger…

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum