Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

Strata reno - non-structural wall

Page 1 of 1
I have a 3bd strata unit that we've owned for a while as an investment, but now looking to move into. The third bedroom is kinda pokey but has a phenomenal view so we're considering taking out the wall (non-structural, no wiring, no utilities) to create a larger open plan living space.

Before I head down this long and winding road, I wanted to get a gut check from folks who have more experience:

1) Would it be typical that this needs both Strata by-law and council approval? Even though our Strata bylaws mention wall reconfiguration as a "minor renovation", reading the NSW SEPP, it sounds like this would not be considered "exempt development" since it's a Class 2 building and changes the number of bedrooms. And since it requires council approval it's then a "Major Renovation" under the Strata Management Act? Sheesh

2) Is this kind of thing usually a rubber-stamp from a council perspective? Or are there a bunch of standards/implications I'm ignorant of? I can understand why they care about creating *more* bedrooms (since this impacts a bunch of shared services), but in this case we're creating fewer bedrooms?

3) When we come to sell the unit down the road (say, 5-6 years), how likely is it that we'll have issues returning it to a 3bd? Obviously the paperwork/process will be a PITA, but again I'm wondering whether this would be a rubber-stamp from the council's POV since the unit was originally approved as a 3 bed so presumably meets the various codes etc?

Obviously not expecting a definitive answer, but just a sense of risk from folks who might have gone through this rigmarole before! Thank you

ps. "just sell & buy a 2bd place" is not an option for us
I'd go see the strata managers or whoever the rep is and have a chat with them. Some places are pretty easy when it comes to reno's and seeing as it's a non structural wall they may let you do it without going to council.

Stewie
WOW! That's surprising that a wall removal is minor. One of mine you can pain and hang hooks. That's about it.
I've never contacted council for internal reno's.
bobby_s
I have a 3bd strata unit that we've owned for a while as an investment, but now looking to move into. The third bedroom is kinda pokey but has a phenomenal view so we're considering taking out the wall (non-structural, no wiring, no utilities) to create a larger open plan living space.

Before I head down this long and winding road, I wanted to get a gut check from folks who have more experience:

1) Would it be typical that this needs both Strata by-law and council approval? Even though our Strata bylaws mention wall reconfiguration as a "minor renovation", reading the NSW SEPP, it sounds like this would not be considered "exempt development" since it's a Class 2 building and changes the number of bedrooms. And since it requires council approval it's then a "Major Renovation" under the Strata Management Act? Sheesh

2) Is this kind of thing usually a rubber-stamp from a council perspective? Or are there a bunch of standards/implications I'm ignorant of? I can understand why they care about creating *more* bedrooms (since this impacts a bunch of shared services), but in this case we're creating fewer bedrooms?

3) When we come to sell the unit down the road (say, 5-6 years), how likely is it that we'll have issues returning it to a 3bd? Obviously the paperwork/process will be a PITA, but again I'm wondering whether this would be a rubber-stamp from the council's POV since the unit was originally approved as a 3 bed so presumably meets the various codes etc?

Obviously not expecting a definitive answer, but just a sense of risk from folks who might have gone through this rigmarole before! Thank you

ps. "just sell & buy a 2bd place" is not an option for us

Bobby

As Stewie says it really comes down to your body corporate rules.

We just did a full reno on an apartment in lane cove ( including removing a structural wall) and they had categories of work from minor to major that needed different approvals.

In the end we went through the process of preparing plans, our clients lawyer drew up special by laws that were then voted on at a special strata meeting.

So just talk to the Strata Manager and find out what the process is for your building

Cheers

Simeon
Related
7/03/2024
Framing timber size needed for a double wall system in non-l

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

Long story short, a toilet room is going to back onto our main bedroom and I want to make it close to soundproof. Im going to build two frames (pretty much a room within a…

15/08/2023
Building Design Certificate Non-Compliance

General Discussion

From a pure legal perspective, if you've signed the variation, it is a very high bar to have it set aside. No-one can give you legal advice on a forum, but you would need…

29/05/2024
KDR - non-inclusions from Overseas

Building A New House

Hi Dotty, I'm Shenzhen, China based and…

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum