Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

repainting interior walls - low sheen vs matt

Page 1 of 1
Before beginning an interior repaint, i spoke to a builder who praised matt paint as opposed to low sheen or satin. His logic was the lack of reflectivity hides imperfections in the wall surface better. So far i have painted one room and i have mixed feelings. Yes it does hide imperfections, but the surface is quite rough - like fine sandpaper. I find it catches dirt easily and is difficult to clean.

What is your opinion on the choice of internal paint? My colour scheme is near-whites. Hard wearing and easy to clean are my primary concerns.
dexx
Hard wearing and easy to clean are my primary concerns.

All of the wall paint in our house is white-ish and matt. I don’t find it hard to clean at all.
What brand/kind of paint did you use?
dexx
What brand/kind of paint did you use?
Dulux I believe, but with modern paints from the major brands I don’t think it really matters.
I have matt throughout my home and it's awesome. Makes the place fel more modern. We went with Dulux Wash & Wear (Blue striped Tin) very expensive.
I'd always go low sheen vs flat ( matt ). I've been in numerous homes over the years that had flat paint and anytime people have had to wipe marks off a wall - usually as a result of kids, you can always see where they have cleaned even if the original mark has been wiped off.

Stewie
Stewie D
I'd always go low sheen vs flat ( matt ). I've been in numerous homes over the years that had flat paint and anytime people have had to wipe marks off a wall - usually as a result of kids, you can always see where they have cleaned even if the original mark has been wiped off.

Stewie

Have to agree.
Not just kids. Clumsy adults as well.

Cleaning matt paint walls always seems to result in shiny patches that need repainting.
Related
28/12/2023
Matt Black Kitchen .. Options

Kitchen Corner

I asked this question of one of the forum's resident cabinet makers who may/may not wish to identify himself to answer other questions if he sees this, but the rersponse…

23/07/2023
Low head water tank

General Discussion

If you can calculate the reasonable charged head from let's say 100mm below the gutter to the top of where the vertical riser's horizontal discharge pipe will be, that…

22/12/2023
Low Deck Build - Tuff Blocks on pavers

Outdoor Living

Those span tables can be pushed a little for a low deck if you dont mind a little flex. Last deck I did, I pushed it a little and it was still rock solid - no noticeable…

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum