Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

Need help with Staircase location

Page 1 of 2
Hi all,
We come to step where we need to locate and design the stair case.

Can anyone look at our propose plan and give me any feedback or ideas please?
vov
Hi all,
We come to step where we need to locate and design the stair case.

Can anyone look at our propose plan and give me any feedback or ideas please?

assuming this is an upstairs extension?? please post plans for the original ground floor with dimensions
Hey vov
You will need to fix the laundry entry by altering the stair type to a U
Quite often tight situations don't become apparent until you visualise the house using a 3D Bim Model.
U shape stairs and L shape stairs
Cheers
Chris
Yes, this is double story extension.

The first picture is the original plan of the downstairs.

The second one is the proposed plan. We will remove 2 walls of bedrooms 2 &3. The yellow line might be new wall to support the stair but it access too much to the kitchen area.

I want to leave the kitchen space as it is. And use more space in the laundry if we can.

Do you have any suggestion?
the location of the stairs should be OK provided that you allow enough access to approach and get off the stairs upstairs and down ..but it's not safe to have the bathroom door immediately next to the top of the stairs and stairs with a landing will be much more comfortable and easier for carrying furniture than winding stairs and the landing should also allow for some useful under stair storage from the laundry ...i've included furniture to help explain my suggestions for location of doors and walking paths around the room eg losing the small linen storage between bed 4 and 5 allows for the bedrooms doors to be pushed sideways and allows reasonable wall space for upstairs lounge furniture and there's generous storage next to the compartmented bathroom and downstairs has different ideas for opening glass doors to outside and the kitchen

Having stairs in the middle of the house is a good idea as it negates to a large degree the need for hallways. However having it located in the Living Room means that in Winter any heat in that room will quickly disappear up those stairs. You could be up for some large heating bills.

Stewie
Stewie D
Having stairs in the middle of the house is a good idea as it negates to a large degree the need for hallways. However having it located in the Living Room means that in Winter any heat in that room will quickly disappear up those stairs. You could be up for some large heating bills.

Stewie

Thanks Stewie for your advice. Do you have any better idea? Looks like my draftman happy with what he draws, unless I come up with something better.
oklouise
the location of the stairs should be OK provided that you allow enough access to approach and get off the stairs upstairs and down ..but it's not safe to have the bathroom door immediately next to the top of the stairs and stairs with a landing will be much more comfortable and easier for carrying furniture than winding stairs and the landing should also allow for some useful under stair storage from the laundry ...i've included furniture to help explain my suggestions for location of doors and walking paths around the room eg losing the small linen storage between bed 4 and 5 allows for the bedrooms doors to be pushed sideways and allows reasonable wall space for upstairs lounge furniture and there's generous storage next to the compartmented bathroom and downstairs has different ideas for opening glass doors to outside and the kitchen

Hi Oklouise. Thanks for including furniture. Thats help a lots. Love the upstair bathroom layout. And the landing stair is great advice. I forgot about this.

Regarding the kitchen layout. Is there any idea that we can keep the kitchen as it is? As the extension already exceed our budget. My builder said he will work with the draftman and still hasn’t come back to us yet. We just submited the form to council ask for permit to build extension on side boundary wall.

I love your idea about position of opening glass door. Can you tell me why I shouldn’t have bifold door along the long wall? I love both ideas. Do you think sliding door can save more cost than bifold door?

As this is my 4th draft. I’m not sure if the draftman happy to make any changes for me. I try to included everything in this 5th draft and hope it will be my final. Is it normal and OK to have 4-5 draftplans?
vov
oklouise

Hi Oklouise. Thanks for including furniture. That's help a lots. Love the upstair bathroom layout. And the landing stair is great advice. I forgot about this.

Regarding the kitchen layout. Is there any idea that we can keep the kitchen as it is? As the extension already exceed our budget. My builder said he will work with the draftman and still hasn’t come back to us yet. We just submited the form to council ask for permit to build extension on side boundary wall.

I love your idea about position of opening glass door. Can you tell me why I shouldn’t have bifold door along the long wall? I love both ideas. Do you think sliding door can save more cost than bifold door?

As this is my 4th draft. I’m not sure if the draftman happy to make any changes for me. I try to included everything in this 5th draft and hope it will be my final. Is it normal and OK to have 4-5 draftplans?

it would be easy for you to visit a local window and glass door showroom and compare prices for sliding, stacking and bifold glass doors of various sizes (always include flyscreen security doors) but i suggest that the stacking doors with screens are the most economical, easier to open just a little for everyday use or a lot for special occasions and stackers are less in the way when open than the bifolds....and keeping the original kitchen is up to you but if you plan new cabinets an island is usually cheaper and makes the space easier to use ...and it's normal to have several drafts of plans as long as you're happy to pay for the draftsman's extra work and hopefully he/she will tell you what works better and why but it's always cheaper to change plans than move walls and plumbing during the planning stage than to rearrange after the renovation but you could add the external pipes for the new kitchen sink location (while adding new upstairs plumbing) during this renovation and save new kitchen cabinets for a future reno
Thanks a lot oklouise.
I will shopping around to get more ideas. Your explaining sounds reasonable to me. I’m very appreciate

Hi oklouise, is it possible to add sliding door for toilet in the ensuit?i want it private as much as it can. Can you help me with this?
vov

Hi oklouise, is it possible to add sliding door for toilet in the ensuit?i want it private as much as it can. Can you help me with this?

new variation with private ens toilet
Wow. Can’t believe it. So quick oklouise 😁👍. I’m very appreciate your help. 👍👍👍
Wow. Can’t believe it. So quick oklouise 😁👍. I’m very appreciate your help. 👍👍👍
The original plan

Hi Oklouise, i got response from council. They rejected our application to build extension on reserve wall. Have to be setback 1.62m from existing first floor
We have to start new draft.

Do you have any ideas to help me out?

Thank you indeed.
I posted again my original floor plan here

what is the reserve wall?? to make sure i clearly understand the problem please draw a line across where the plan has to be changed ....is the new upstairs 1.62 from the side boundary or 1.62 from the downstairs wall?
oklouise
what is the reserve wall?? to make sure i clearly understand the problem please draw a line across where the plan has to be changed ....is the new upstairs 1.62 from the side boundary or 1.62 from the downstairs wall?

Downstair wall was built on the boundary line which is the red line in the picture.

So the new upstair has to be setback from downstair wall.

The blue line is where the maximum space we can have for upstair.

vov
The original plan

Hi Oklouise, i got response from council. They rejected our application to build extension on reserve wall. Have to be setback 1.62m from existing first floor
We have to start new draft.

Do you have any ideas to help me out?

Thank you indeed.

hopefully this will work for you but you need to consider a front porch to improve the appearance from the street
hopefully this will work for you but you need to consider a front porch to improve the appearance from the street

Thank you Oklouise, do you have any drawing to explain your idea? I also think the layout need stepback somewhere to make the appearance looks nicer. I’m think using the front part of the garage as well.
In worse case we have to eliminate the ensuit to make more space for bedrooms. I prefer to keep the bedroom’s size as your prevous plan.
Related
30/01/2024
Help Staircase void too small

Building A New House

Not sure if that works? I was told the issue is the headspace clearance requirement on step 4. My builder is proposing shifting the beam 310mm towards the kitchen...I'm…

28/12/2023
$13,500 staircase and we get grade E timber.

Building A New House

Staircases and sausages. Should thou wish to keep thy palate sweet for sausages, avert thine eyes from their crafting.

17/11/2023
Help understanding Boundary Survey and Nail Location

Building A New House

ask the surveyor for clarification would be the logical approach

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum