Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

Double story windows layout help

Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone,

I am seeking a better way to design the upstair windows.
I don’t like my idea on the elevation plan.
I hope you guys can help me with the better design.

My house facing South and there is no neighbor on the left.
vov
My house facing South and there is no neighbor on the left.

Hello VOV,
I agree, I don't like your façade either. The reason is that there is no symmetry between ground floor and first floor, it looks like 2 different houses.

Try to carry the window spacing across the levels so that it all lines up. Try to have the same shape of window and even consider the same windows up and down

Here's one we did, the customer had chosen different products above the bifold doors and there was no way that they would look symmetrical. We used standard windows and coverplates to create the illusion of a wall of light. Externally as well, it all aligns.

If you get stuck, talk to me.

ECOECO
Hello VOV,
I agree, I don't like your façade either. The reason is that there is no symmetry between ground floor and first floor, it looks like 2 different houses.

Try to carry the window spacing across the levels so that it all lines up. Try to have the same shape of window and even consider the same windows up and down

Here's one we did, the customer had chosen different products above the bifold doors and there was no way that they would look symmetrical. We used standard windows and coverplates to create the illusion of a wall of light. Externally as well, it all aligns.

If you get stuck, talk to me.

Thanks Ecoeco
We have come up with 4 design ideas. Prefer design ‘A’.
What do you think?

I'm thinking on these lines. The benefit of the lower one is that you won't need restrictors on the opening windows.

ECOECO
I'm thinking on these lines. The benefit of the lower one is that you won't need restrictors on the opening windows.

Thanks ecoeco
I like your first design.
We can not go with the second design though we like the big windows very much as this is the double story extension. I try to keep the original windows to save the cost.
Yes, I realised too late that the ground floor was existing. Whatever you do will be a compromise, I am sure you will be comfortable either way....

Hi Ecoeco,
What do you think about the material of the facade we should go with? Render or weatherboard? And what color do you think it will make a nice standout with current brick? I prefer the materials in the picture below. Is render be the best cost efficient?

Related
28/12/2023
Builder for double story house in Tallawong Schofields NSW

Building A New House

We bought land in Tallawong Schofields NSW size 30m X 12.5m and planning to get double story house build around 350 sqm. We are thinking about having premium inclusions…

10/05/2024
Double glazed aluminium windows-doors- slimline?

Windows & Doors

Whatever you do avoid Wideline and Stegbar.

29/05/2024
Kitchen Layout Help

Kitchen Corner

This thread is over 6 months old. I'd say the OP has long since decided on their layout.

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum