Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

Suggestions on an extension.

Page 1 of 1
Hi, we have a blonde 60's triple front home. Three bed 1 bath which is rapidly becoming too small for our family. We are considering an extension and I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the plan we have developed.

House faces east, bedrooms are to the south. Driveway runs along the north and a large four car shed is located approximately level with the end of the proposed extension to the north.
Red Smarties
Hi, we have a blonde 60's triple front home. Three bed 1 bath which is rapidly becoming too small for our family. We are considering an extension and I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the plan we have developed.

House faces east, bedrooms are to the south. Driveway runs along the north and a large four car shed is located approximately level with the end of the proposed extension to the north.

unable to read your dimensions but, based on estimated room sizes, your proposed extension is about 42 sqm but you've lost the sunroom and there's so much more space used for the extra hall ..my suggestion has a different shaped extension, doesn't take up so much of your backyard and is also about 42 sqm but, keeping the old laundry with extra storage accessed from the hallway, there's enough space in the extension for a a family bathroom, master suite and rumpus room and also consider removing the extra wall to open up the kitchen to the outside, reducing more hallways and it would be easy to add an outdoor sink to the alfresco
Wow! Thanks for that. I really like the bed/ensuite layout, but DH is not a fan of the rumpus area, worried that it would become a thoroughfare, but we like the idea of incorporating some living space in that back area. So I have had another go, what are your thoughts on this? (I hope the dimensions are readable this time). The sun room is really a lean to, so turning it into a deck/alfresco makes lots of sense.
Red Smarties
Wow! Thanks for that. I really like the bed/ensuite layout, but DH is not a fan of the rumpus area, worried that it would become a thoroughfare, but we like the idea of incorporating some living space in that back area. So I have had another go, what are your thoughts on this? (I hope the dimensions are readable this time). The sun room is really a lean to, so turning it into a deck/alfresco makes lots of sense.

that looks better but i still can't read the dimension could you hand write length x breadth (not sqm) of each room on the original house plans in big numbers? and what is the floor height of the extension and alfresco? will you need steps down from the alfresco and new laundry or have you considered a slab on ground for the extension with steps down inside as you enter the new dining area and i would prefer a more private north window in the master bedroom instead of the west facing windows but what is the maximum size of the extension and have you budgeted for a whole new kitchen?
oklouise
that looks better but i still can't read the dimension could you hand write length x breadth (not sqm) of each room on the original house plans in big numbers? and what is the floor height of the extension and alfresco? will you need steps down from the alfresco and new laundry or have you considered a slab on ground for the extension with steps down inside as you enter the new dining area and i would prefer a more private north window in the master bedroom instead of the west facing windows but what is the maximum size of the extension and have you budgeted for a whole new kitchen?

Ok, try again, I've written the dimensions on the wall it applies to, hopefully it is big enough.

Overall dimensions of the extension is about 6000mmx6500mm.

I am wondering about moving the ensuite door to the corridor (circled), and sliding the door to the master along the passage between the two bathrooms. This avoids the need to knock a hole in the kitchen wall, means the bed doesn't look into the bathroom, means a child could use the ensuite bathroom without having to walk through the bedroom and might also mean we could use it as a wardrobe space and reduce the size of the WIR. Downside is reduced ventilation through the bathroom and loss of general storage, given the house doesn't have huge amounts of storage to begin with.

I agree on the west window in the master, but the north wall faces the driveway, and I am trying as much as possible to work with what we have, a long narrow window high on the north might work, but I'm
reluctant to make new holes in walls if I can avoid it.

The sunroom is currently a steel framed colourbond and laserlight clad lean-to, with three 2100 long windows on the west. We are hoping it can be retained. It is presently paved, so we are hoping to remove the cladding on the south west corner and the southern window, then install a 300mm high deck (measured at the back door). The ceiling of the sunroom falls to the west, with a deck at 300mm the ceiling height would be 2300mm, making 300mm the highest the deck can be while keeping sufficient head room.

House is on concrete stumps, floor is 500mm high at the back door, ground falls away slightly to the south and is 550mm at the point where the extension joins join. There will be a step down to the alfresco from the house and two steps down to the yard from the laundry. This could be avoided by including a step into the dining space, but I think I would prefer to keep the house on one level.

We are still working on the budget, We received a very rough estimate of approximately $110,000 from a local builder for the original plan, excluding the alfresco, but that plan would not have retained the sunroom. I am hoping that we can retain and reuse most of the kitchen cabinetry, most current bathroom fittings (bath, toilet) and do some of the internal works ourselves. I am also hoping that the redesign might limit the plumbing work required, reducing the
Red Smarties
oklouise

Ok, try again, I've written the dimensions on the wall it applies to, hopefully it is big enough.

Overall dimensions of the extension is about 6000mmx6500mm.

I am wondering about moving the ensuite door to the corridor (circled), and sliding the door to the master along the passage between the two bathrooms. This avoids the need to knock a hole in the kitchen wall, means the bed doesn't look into the bathroom, means a child could use the ensuite bathroom without having to walk through the bedroom and might also mean we could use it as a wardrobe space and reduce the size of the WIR. Downside is reduced ventilation through the bathroom and loss of general storage, given the house doesn't have huge amounts of storage to begin with.

I agree on the west window in the master, but the north wall faces the driveway, and I am trying as much as possible to work with what we have, a long narrow window high on the north might work, but I'm
reluctant to make new holes in walls if I can avoid it.

The sunroom is currently a steel framed colourbond and laserlight clad lean-to, with three 2100 long windows on the west. We are hoping it can be retained. It is presently paved, so we are hoping to remove the cladding on the south west corner and the southern window, then install a 300mm high deck (measured at the back door). The ceiling of the sunroom falls to the west, with a deck at 300mm the ceiling height would be 2300mm, making 300mm the highest the deck can be while keeping sufficient head room.

House is on concrete stumps, floor is 500mm high at the back door, ground falls away slightly to the south and is 550mm at the point where the extension joins join. There will be a step down to the alfresco from the house and two steps down to the yard from the laundry. This could be avoided by including a step into the dining space, but I think I would prefer to keep the house on one level.

We are still working on the budget, We received a very rough estimate of approximately $110,000 from a local builder for the original plan, excluding the alfresco, but that plan would not have retained the sunroom. I am hoping that we can retain and reuse most of the kitchen cabinetry, most current bathroom fittings (bath, toilet) and do some of the internal works ourselves. I am also hoping that the redesign might limit the plumbing work required, reducing the

some of your dimensions are inconsistent and i don't think your new bathrooms fits the available space allowing for wall thicknesses and i've suggested an alterative with the side entry for the ens and new door for the master bedroom and used 6m x 65m internal dimensions for the extension (ie external walls will add extra) but, when you have final plans drawn up, i hope your draughtsperson will take detailed measurements of the existing spaces and make suitable allowances as even a few cms can make dramatic differences

Related
28/06/2023
Second story extension on steel frame house

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi, We have a single story MacDonald Jones house, on a waffle pod slab with steel frame. Are we able to build a second story extension? Other info is we are 900mm from…

29/06/2023
Renovation/Extension at Auchenflower, Brisbane.

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hello Josh, This is Irving from PRIMA, we are a manufacturer of the staircase, railings, kitchen cabinets, windows, doors from China. If you have requirement to purchase…

20/07/2023
Gable Extension Ideas and Question?

General Discussion

I would say both styles you have pictured are steel. The lower chord of the first pic would be a massive lump if made using timber considering the size of the rafters. If…

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum