Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

Internal floorplan re-jig - after your feedback!

Page 1 of 1

Hi all,

After considering a full blown extension that we eventually deemed not viable, now considering some more minor internal reconfiguration, and after thoughts, views and opinions!

The two main things I'd be trying to achieve is:
- slightly larger bathroom to more comfortably accommodate a separate shower and bath (currently shower over bath)
- better incorporate the rear sunroom/small bedroom, which is currently accessed via kitchen/mudroom.

The change would involve moving the wall between the current study and bathroom to make the study a walk-through hallway & study nook, and give extra width to the bathroom. This would also allow for relocation of the toilet from the rear corner, into the centre of the house next to the bathroom. The mudroom would become more integrated with the outdoor deck areas, and would probably look at putting stack sliding doors on both walls to allow it to open up in the nicer weather (I'm Victorian based!).

Have a look, and tell me what you think. Anything I might've overlooked? Got any better ideas?!

Thanks!http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/60d1257e85f05/Current%20floorplan%20Jun%202021.pdfhttp://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/60d125855b052/Proposed%20Floorplan%20-%20Jun%202021.pdf
damienh7

Hi all,

After considering a full blown extension that we eventually deemed not viable, now considering some more minor internal reconfiguration, and after thoughts, views and opinions!

- slightly larger bathroom to more comfortably accommodate a separate shower and bath (currently shower over bath)
- better incorporate the rear sunroom/small bedroom, which is currently accessed via kitchen/mudroom.

The change would involve moving the wall between the current study and bathroom to make the study a walk-through hallway & study nook, and give extra width to the bathroom. This would also allow for relocation of the toilet from the rear corner, into the centre of the house next to the bathroom. The mudroom would become more integrated with the outdoor deck areas, and would probably look at putting stack sliding doors on both walls to allow it to open up in the nicer weather (I'm Victorian based!).

Have a look, and tell me what you think. Anything I might've overlooked? Got any better ideas?!

Thanks!http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/60d1257e85f05/Current%20floorplan%20Jun%202021.pdfhttp://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/60d125855b052/Proposed%20Floorplan%20-%20Jun%202021.pdf

i think your new bathroom is a little too narrow for the proposed arrangement ...my suggestion has a bigger shower with a separate powder room (stealing space off the pantry or including the extra space in the hallway for the handbasin and create extra storage and moving the door into the living room) and i would keep the original Euro laundry (plus the extra space from the old sunroom doorway) and instead make the mudroom big enough for a dining area with sliding door on either external wall depending on direction of sunshine
The view from the master bedroom into the carport is hardly to die for. Try swapping it’s position with the ensuite/WIR.
oklouise
damienh7

Hi all,

i think your new bathroom is a little too narrow for the proposed arrangement ...my suggestion has a bigger shower with a separate powder room (stealing space off the pantry or including the extra space in the hallway for the handbasin and create extra storage and moving the door into the living room) and i would keep the original Euro laundry (plus the extra space from the old sunroom doorway) and instead make the mudroom big enough for a dining area with sliding door on either external wall depending on direction of sunshine
Awesome. Thanks for going to that effort. I get what you mean about the bathroom being a squeeze - one of the factors in the back of my mind was a preference for two sinks in that bathroom for my two teenage daughters that share it. But I quite like your variation. And the idea re: leaving the euro laundry and adding the linen storage the other side makes a lot of sense!

The orientation of the block is NW to the rear. So that mudroom is on the North/North-East corner.

Can I also ask what software you use? And is it free/cheap, and user friendly? I did mine in Excel, which gets the job done, but far from the perfect tool for the job!

nosliw
The view from the master bedroom into the carport is hardly to die for. Try swapping it’s position with the ensuite/WIR.
True. And the rear of the house has elevated views and is North(ish) facing. The issue is that that rear section is a skillion roof add on, so wouldn't be able to maintain the nice 9ft ceilings in the master.

Which direction is north?
damienh7
oklouise
damienh7

Hi all,

Awesome. Thanks for going to that effort. I get what you mean about the bathroom being a squeeze - one of the factors in the back of my mind was a preference for two sinks in that bathroom for my two teenage daughters that share it. But I quite like your variation. And the idea re: leaving the euro laundry and adding the linen storage the other side makes a lot of sense!

Can I also ask what software you use? And is it free/cheap, and user friendly? I did mine in Excel, which gets the job done, but far from the perfect tool for the job!

the extra sink to the powder room will relieve some of the pressure with sharing teenagers and the size of the vanity would need to be minimum 1500 for two sinks but that would mean not enough space for more than a tiny bath...my CAD program is a very old one called 3D Home Architect but is no longer available unless you can find a copy online without internet support but the cheap CAD programs don't do anything that can't be achieved with careful measurements, knowledge of basic building structure, sizes of suitable fixtures and hand drawn plans ...your plans look good but are missing some critical dimensions including the inside dimensions of the biw, pantry and fridge space, original mudroom and euro and the size of the living room doesn't match the kitchen??..original plans need to be very accurate as even tiny variations might allow some other options eg how much space is behind the fridge and what about the small extra space in the hallway next to the pantry?? even small differences in available space might suggest other options eg how much space is around the fridge and the extra space in the hallway and if the existing study is 2900 and the master bedroom is 4100 does that mean the hallway is at least 110 wide or do you have very thick walls? good idea to double check all dimensions to make sure that the plans are accurate and maybe there could be other ideas to consider
EpicDNA
Which direction is north?
The block faces South/South-East. So rear of the house is North'ish (NNW).

oklouise
the extra sink to the powder room will relieve some of the pressure with sharing teenagers and the size of the vanity would need to be minimum 1500 for two sinks but that would mean not enough space for more than a tiny bath...my CAD program is a very old one called 3D Home Architect but is no longer available unless you can find a copy online without internet support but the cheap CAD programs don't do anything that can't be achieved with careful measurements, knowledge of basic building structure, sizes of suitable fixtures and hand drawn plans ...your plans look good but are missing some critical dimensions including the inside dimensions of the biw, pantry and fridge space, original mudroom and euro and the size of the living room doesn't match the kitchen??..original plans need to be very accurate as even tiny variations might allow some other options eg how much space is behind the fridge and what about the small extra space in the hallway next to the pantry?? even small differences in available space might suggest other options eg how much space is around the fridge and the extra space in the hallway and if the existing study is 2900 and the master bedroom is 4100 does that mean the hallway is at least 110 wide or do you have very thick walls? good idea to double check all dimensions to make sure that the plans are accurate and maybe there could be other ideas to consider

Yeah, hallways are pretty much 1100 wide. The pantry and fridge cavity are also same depth - they are in a section that was originally hallway. There's also a structural been running between the lounge and kitchen space that terminates next to the doorway into the hall. Would be nice to get that removed to allow for a straight-line hall, but would need to get it engineered etc. Was trying to keep the job as simple (& cheap) as possible!

The lounge and kitchen are 3600, but I've noted lounge as 3700 because most of that wall is essentially a niche, and an extra 100mm (that's where the 3700 came from).

Just following up, after playing some more, and definitely agree that the bathroom space is too shallow/narrow for my existing bathroom layout.

Playing around with options based on oklouise alternative and I think something along those lines will be the best (only) option. I did come up with one variation that I think would work, and would allow the double sink across the rear wall.

Thoughts?

damienh7
Just following up, after playing some more, and definitely agree that the bathroom space is too shallow/narrow for my existing bathroom layout.

Playing around with options based on oklouise alternative and I think something along those lines will be the best (only) option. I did come up with one variation that I think would work, and would allow the double sink across the rear wall.

Thoughts?

the challenge will be the size of the space needed for freestanding bathtub that has to allow cleaning access gaps on either end so suggest a back to wall corner bath will waste less space ... the last option looks good with a double vanity but the depth of the vanity (say 50cms) only leaves 70cms access into the shower and needs a glass screen or door to protect the end of the vanity (maybe steal another 10cms off the toilet to make the shower space wider and doorway bigger? but it also has a wet floor in front of the vanity and if the bath so there's no dry floor space ..if you could use the smallest bathtub around 1500 a smaller double vanity might fit but has limited counter space and is a tiny bath big enough? .. there will always be compromises and i suggest that you research bath and vanity options (toilets need about 80cm x 80cms knee and shoulder room regardless of the size of the toilet) and see what you can find and then plan from actual fixture sizes but keep in mind enough standing spaces, hanging towel rails and even the thickness of wall tiles can make a difference
oklouise
damienh7

Thoughts?

the challenge will be the size of the space needed for freestanding bathtub that has to allow cleaning access gaps on either end so suggest a back to wall corner bath will waste less space ... the last option looks good with a double vanity but the depth of the vanity (say 50cms) only leaves 70cms access into the shower and needs a glass screen or door to protect the end of the vanity (maybe steal another 10cms off the toilet to make the shower space wider and doorway bigger? but it also has a wet floor in front of the vanity and if the bath so there's no dry floor space ..if you could use the smallest bathtub around 1500 a smaller double vanity might fit but has limited counter space and is a tiny bath big enough? .. there will always be compromises and i suggest that you research bath and vanity options (toilets need about 80cm x 80cms knee and shoulder room regardless of the size of the toilet) and see what you can find and then plan from actual fixture sizes but keep in mind enough standing spaces, hanging towel rails and even the thickness of wall tiles can make a difference
Yeah, despite my basic excel sketch looking like a true freestanding, definitely thinking a 1500mm semi-freestanding (i.e. corner) tub. And yes, would need a vanity no deeper than 500mm to allow minimum 700mm shower access.

The other option that allows more floorspace flexibility is having the toilet in the bathroom. We do have an ensuite, so it's not our only toilet/bathroom, but as you say, all comes down to compromises, and coming up with the best compromise to suit.

Playing around with some toilet-in-bath ideas here... I think I like option B best: best privacy for toilet and shower, best amount of room and privacy for the bath (assuming door is hinged on right if looking from outside). That said, overall I'm not sure I like it significantly more than the previous separate toilet option, which has the added practicality going for it...

Option C doesn't work, unfortunately. Thought I'd try to add a little something by putting the bath across the corner, but just doesn't look like it'd be functional.

I did draw in a little "pinched space" to the top right hand corner. The other side of this is a fridge cavity in the former hallway which is almost 1200 deep, so could easily pinch 300mm of depth there, which I have done!

Basic rectangular room size is 2950 x 2650 (excluding that 1000 x 300 piece pinched from the fridge cavity).

Thoughts?

Related
16/08/2023
Floorplan

Renovation + Home Improvement

Thanks for your feedback.

15/06/2023
Internal sheeting of shed

Owner Builder Forum

Thanks. Yeh ideally that would have been good, but have progressed too far now. Hoping some well placed internal walls fixed up into the battens will provide some…

15/11/2023
Internal brick wall vs plasterboard - cost and acoustic?

Building A New House

Thank you alexp79 and gommeqld for your advice, that's very helpful, thanks

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum