Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

Renovation Building permit - limited to structural works??

Page 1 of 1
I purchased a fire damaged home which I will likely be living in for 2/3 years at which point I plan to go buy some land and build my own home as an owner builder.

I need to put a new roof on this home, and at the same time will do new lights, painting, bathroom fixtures, flooring etc. As the roof is structural work, it triggers requirement for a building permit. If the works are over $16,000 I need to get an owner builder cert from VBA which then means I can not do any more owner builder projects for the next 5 years and could not build my house and land.

I seek experience from you members as to whether I can limit the building permit to purely the structural works of the roof, which I can replace for just around that $16k and thus bypass the need for owner builder cert OR if the permit must extend to everything I am doing (incl painting, kitchen, flooring, plumbing etc). Also, I have talked to a handful of builders, most don't want to do just the roof replacement as its a small job and the ones that do cost tens of thousands more than me simply calling up a registered carpenter and registered roofer.

I've spoken to multiple building surveyors, some saying I can cap it at just the works that require a permit, being the roof, and get that signed off and good to go. Others saying I must include the value of the entire construction work, even all the cosmetic stuff ill do in my own time over many months.

Thank you!
Green.
Hey Greenroom
It's sounds like the house wasn't insured?
If it was then the insurance company will get a structural engineers report
I suggest you have a good read of that report.
The repair works will require certified engineered solutions for the roof, walls and slabs as it won't meet the current NCC min standards.
IMO , in the end it would be cheaper to demolish
BTW, It's the total value of the project, you can't take out the cabinets, etc to lessen the price

Goodluck..
Chris
Hi Chris,

Yes I believe that is the case. Prior owners nowhere to be found - bankrupted and ran. Sad story. Luckily walls are in pretty good nick, just a few roof members copped the brunt of it, but ill be changing from the existing concrete tile to a colorbond which is obviously a ton, or 5, lighter which will make the loading a bit easier.

I query having to include absolutely everything in the permit however...the permit is required for "Structural alterations" and "roofing", so does it not make sense that the permit is just these items? I don't see why the cosmetic painting and new fixtures and flooring etc need be required, I can do all that stuff without a permit.

I'd be happy to pay the levy associated but I just really don't want to blow my big proper owner builder project now knowing that ill need to wait 5 years to do something like this again.

If I put a new roof on, but the house still had no lighting or bathroom fixtures, could I be granted my cert of final inspection and say well the permit was for structural works and thats complete, the rest ill do as and when I have the money throughout the year?
Get a licenced carpenter or roofer for the roof and structural work and do all the rest your self. If you need a building permit then get that too and just get the trades in.

Stewie
Related
7/11/2023
Block or Object to Building Permit?

General Discussion

No, not yet. It’s currently being assessed by our building surveyor

12/06/2023
Driveway works under a CDC

Renovation + Home Improvement

I want to build a bigger driveway (without a nature strip) than has been approved under my CDC. I’ve also had a DA approved to build a deck. It looks like I can do this…

20/08/2023
Builder suspended works, demanding variations, cost increase

Building A New House

Fair Trading can issue orders to rectify and complete but once the matter goes to NCAT these orders are automatically vacated. You will have to terminate contract and sue…

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum