Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

Second Story Addition Sydney

Page 3 of 5
It is very exciting seeing the frames up - gives a great idea of size and progress!

Looks great! It must be so exciting for you now that it is actually happening! We are still waiting on our final costings and final plans to go to council. We have been going back and forth with the builder over cost and what we can include for our money.

I've heard that our local council has been taking a long time with development applications recently - apparently up to 5 months! Since we are still a few weeks from actually going to council, I'm thinking we won't be starting until more like April/ May next year! It's disappointing, but we do need to make sure we can afford what we are building and want to get the best result we can within budget!
Yes, I agree, the budget and making sure you include everything that is most important for the money you have is a big thing. I really wanted to be sure I was aware of what would not be included so that there are no surprises at the end. There were some things we had to count out but we are getting all the important things for now and the rest can wait until we magic up more money in a few years!

Looks wonderful! You must be so excited now, seeing it all come together. I forget, are you living there while all this is happening?
it is looking great!!!
RJ_McGray how are things going? Would love an update when u get the chance please.

Not much happening here. We have received our final quote and still looking to start in March. So close yet so far away! As we will be moving out I will keep myself busy with culling and de-cluttering.
I have been pretty slack with the updates! Work is going great! All the cladding is finished and the render is finished on the top floor. They have started painting the render on the top, and have begun the render on the ground floor.

Inside we have all the plasterboard and cornice up and they are busy putting up the window frames and skirts today. Tiling has also started in the bathrooms.

The stairs were installed last week and I love them. I will put up some photos now.

They will keep working until the 23rd December completing the outside render, upstairs painting and the downstairs roof should hopefully commence too. Most of the upstairs apart from wardrobes and carpet should be complete by Christmas. They will then be on a break until mid January when they will return to complete downstairs - mainly plaster and painting.

Looks wonderful RJ_McGray. They have progressed so quickly. You must be so excited. Great to read your update!
After a break over Christmas and New Years we are back in business. The scaffold came down today which really shows how the house is coming along. Still waiting on the downstairs render to be painted and the awnings over the downstairs Windows. Most of the electrical is done and the bathrooms were fitted out yesterday. We should be all finished in around 3 weeks.

Related
28/06/2023
Second story extension on steel frame house

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi, We have a single story MacDonald Jones house, on a waffle pod slab with steel frame. Are we able to build a second story extension? Other info is we are 900mm from…

5/02/2024
1st Storey addition vs Lower level excavation

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi there, We’ve recently had plans approved to add a 1st storey addition to our existing house for a growing family in Sydney. With the current cost of building…

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum