Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

Need help with Staircase location

Page 2 of 2
vov
hopefully this will work for you but you need to consider a front porch to improve the appearance from the street

Thank you Oklouise, do you have any drawing to explain your idea? I also think the layout need stepback somewhere to make the appearance looks nicer. I’m think using the front part of the garage as well.
In worse case we have to eliminate the ensuit to make more space for bedrooms. I prefer to keep the bedroom’s size as your prevous plan.

the new kids bedrooms are bigger than before just a different shape and it would be a serious mistake to lose the ensuite and i think you now need to work with a local designer who can show you 3D images to help decide the best appearance from the front as i don't have enough information or time to do that for you now
Hi Oklouise,

I have contacted the draftwoman. She will work out what I can have. I will keep the ensuit as your advice. But do you think the living room can be get rid off and we will have more space for the kids bedroom for game/study/TV… is this better idea do you think?
vov
Hi Oklouise,

I have contacted the draftwoman. She will work out what I can have. I will keep the ensuit as your advice. But do you think the living room can be get rid off and we will have more space for the kids bedroom for game/study/TV… is this better idea do you think?

most of the upstairs living areas is for walkways between the stairs, bedrooms and bathrooms so attempting to make the kids bedrooms bigger by changing the upstairs living would change the master suite...i will be very interested to see the draftwoman's new ideas...best of luck
Hi Oklouise,

Please find the new floor plan my draftwomen just sent to me. Can you give me your feedback please? Is there anything we need to adjust to make the most space of it?
vov
Hi Oklouise,

Please find the new floor plan my draftwomen just sent to me. Can you give me your feedback please? Is there anything we need to adjust to make the most space of it?

looks good but is much bigger than your original ideas so hope it's within budget
oklouise
vov
Hi Oklouise,

looks good but is much bigger than your original ideas so hope it's within budget

Hi Oklouise,

I need to involve engineering for my floor plan to submit council for approval. Do you have any idea how much it cost?

Thanks Oklouise
vov
oklouise
vov
Hi Oklouise,

Hi Oklouise,

I need to involve engineering for my floor plan to submit council for approval. Do you have any idea how much it cost?

Thanks Oklouise

costs varies depending on time needed to review your plans but anything with which we are not familiar costs more than we want to spend but is a necessary part of the building and you can't do anything more without engineering ..it's a standard process and any engineering firm should be able to give your a basic quote over the phone but they're all likely to be a similar price....
Hi Oklouise,

It has been a while and our project didn’t go anywhere. The builder put on hold my project and they just update their new quote according to current stock price. Unfortunatly, we couldn’t go ahead with previous plan.

We have to reduced our floor plan to meet the budget:

Please find the photo for 2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom floor plan. Could you have any better idea for this plan?

Thanks Oklouise

vov
Hi Oklouise,

It has been a while and our project didn’t go anywhere. The builder put on hold my project and they just update their new quote according to current stock price. Unfortunatly, we couldn’t go ahead with previous plan.

We have to reduced our floor plan to meet the budget:

Please find the photo for 2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom floor plan. Could you have any better idea for this plan?

Thanks Oklouise

please include dimensions for proposed new ensuite, wiw, bathroom and bed 2 as well as the new downstairs floorplan and have you also compared the cost of selling and buying a bigger house without all the stress of an upstairs renovation
oklouise
please include dimensions for proposed new ensuite, wiw, bathroom and bed 2 as well as the new downstairs floorplan and have you also compared the cost of selling and buying a bigger house without all the stress of an upstairs renovation

Thanks oklouise. Will get back to you the detail drawings. I have attach the new downstair floor plan. It is the same as previous attachment as the builder don’t want to move the stair’s position.
We thought of selling and buy bigger property but due to family commitment, we couldn’t move far from where to stay. The price in our suburb gone up crazy. The 4bedrooms house around 1.2ml plus.
We did think of cheaper plan is to divide the double garage into single garage and bedroom as well. As our main goal is to have 4 bedrooms. The picture show what our cheapest plan is. But we want to do something nice and properly.

vov
oklouise

Thanks oklouise. Will get back to you the detail drawings. I have attach the new downstair floor plan. It is the same as previous attachment as the builder don’t want to move the stair’s position.
We thought of selling and buy bigger property but due to family commitment, we couldn’t move far from where to stay. The price in our suburb gone up crazy. The 4bedrooms house around 1.2ml plus.
We did think of cheaper plan is to divide the double garage into single garage and bedroom as well. As our main goal is to have 4 bedrooms. The picture show what our cheapest plan is. But we want to do something nice and properly.

pending your extra information is would seem worthwhile to use the garage but unless the garage is at least 6m wide inside it becomes too narrow to split into a useful car space and extra room and it's usually not legal to use a garage for living or bedrooms (different building standards) and would not be able to be called a 4th bedroom but usually OK to leave cars outside and use garage space for occasional wet weather play room or mancave but can you share a site plan showing teh distance form eth house to all boundarie?
Hi Oklouise,

Do you mean these picture?

vov
Hi Oklouise,

Do you mean these picture?

just need to understand the site better....i have a rough idea for two bedrooms, two baths and a lounge upstairs that is much smaller than the last plan .what is the limit for the sqm size for upstairs and do you need/want two bathrooms or what about a shared bathroom upstairs?.
just need to understand the site better....i have a rough idea for two bedrooms, two baths and a lounge upstairs that is much smaller than the last plan .what is the limit for the sqm size for upstairs and do you need/want two bathrooms or what about a shared bathroom upstairs?.[/quote]

Hi Oklouise,
The picture attached show the limit of the proposed floor plan. The builder want to save cost for steel beam.
We want 2 good size bedroom minimum 3.6x3.6 each. 1 shared bathroom with seperate toilet, 1 lounge room for the kids.
The 2 bedrooms floor plan they gave me the quote for $230k, no painting, no floor.

The previous large 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and the lounge was increased to $275k, no painting, no floor.

your latest plan looks like about 66sqm but my suggestion is moved towards the front of the house for a better look from the street and avoids any western windows and is about 63qm
oklouise
your latest plan looks like about 66sqm but my suggestion is moved towards the front of the house for a better look from the street and avoids any western windows and is about 63qm

Im really like your idea. Thanks so much for helping me
Hi Oklouise,

The builder has considered our suggestion to bring the floor plan to the front of the house.

He just send me the draft idea. Please see the picture for details.

I ask you first before I reply his email. Im happy with the lay out. It is very similar to your plan. I suppose to ask if they can extend the rear wall to the dot line so we can have more space for the bedroom and bathroom.
If they can do that do you think we can fit in the bath tub?

Thanks Oklouise

ly
vov
Hi Oklouise,

The builder has considered our suggestion to bring the floor plan to the front of the house.

He just send me the draft idea. Please see the picture for details.

I ask you first before I reply his email. Im happy with the lay out. It is very similar to your plan. I suppose to ask if they can extend the rear wall to the dot line so we can have more space for the bedroom and bathroom.
If they can do that do you think we can fit in the bath tub?

Thanks Oklouise

ly

i think the bedrooms are already big enough but you may be able to extend just the bathroom to the dotted line under the eaves without extending the roof or try using some of the space above the void for the vanities (they could be wall hung size to allow enough headroom for the stairs underneath) but this plan is much bigger than my suggestion

as my earlier suggestion is about 17sqm smaller/cheaper including space for a bathtub
Hi Oklouise,

The builder come back to us with their suggestion if we want to have a study room/ office which can be use as extra bedroom. But the size look small to me.

What is your thoughts about this?

vov
Hi Oklouise,

The builder come back to us with their suggestion if we want to have a study room/ office which can be use as extra bedroom. But the size look small to me.

What is your thoughts about this?

the problem with the separate study is that it forces a specific location for the study door which changes how furniture can be arranged in the living area...the study size is ok and big enough for a single bed and desk but why not make a bigger drawing of upstairs and cut our some shapes for all the furniture you want and see how it all fits...i noticed how the wiw location has been changed and there is no door between master and bathroom??
Related
30/01/2024
Help Staircase void too small

Building A New House

Not sure if that works? I was told the issue is the headspace clearance requirement on step 4. My builder is proposing shifting the beam 310mm towards the kitchen...I'm…

28/12/2023
$13,500 staircase and we get grade E timber.

Building A New House

Staircases and sausages. Should thou wish to keep thy palate sweet for sausages, avert thine eyes from their crafting.

17/11/2023
Help understanding Boundary Survey and Nail Location

Building A New House

ask the surveyor for clarification would be the logical approach

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum