Join Login
Building ForumSafer Living

Security system, is it worth its price?

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

A bit controversial question but I've got 3 different Home insurance quotes and the difference between "I have a security system with back to base" and "I have nothing" is literally $50 a year. I'm assuming their quotes are based on real data which would indicate it is not worth spending $1k on a security system. Am I missing something ?
You can assume in another way, someone approached your home or business, try to get something, something might be worth $1, like a stick, or more than $1000, like a car, because they saw the security system, then walk away.

We don't know the value until it happened.

It does not mean I recommend because of the business, totally personal choice.
I agree but at the same time if statistically speaking there is no difference than maybe what we are just not right. Also more than likely I'm oversimplifying it
I've had a monitored security system at a previous house, but won't be bothering again.

A considerable ongoing cost for little real benefit.

To see more reasons check this link https://anewhouse.com.au/2015/05/monito ... ar-alarms/
Hay bashworth,

If I understand correctly your link then you will get a security alarm but not the back to base option. Is that correct?
My opinion is that alarms are first and foremost a deterrent and second to give you piece of mind that if the scumbags do continue to break into your home/business then they'll have to do it in conjunction with an alarm screaming and lit up like a Christmas tree. Not the most discreet of situations for those types of indiscretions.

Personally I don't see the value of a back to base monitored alarm but can see why some do. You could go with a system that will self monitor via sms or email instead or not at all and you only find to the alarm has triggered when you get back home.
pawelpabich
Hay bashworth,

If I understand correctly your link then you will get a security alarm but not the back to base option. Is that correct?

Not even sure I will bother again, but definitely won't be getting a monitored one.
I'd agree. Why risk not installing protection for your home just to save that bit of money. The difference in insurance really shouldn't be the consideration here. You should be thinking about what might happen if someone truly comes to rob your home and what if there were people when it happened? What if there are guns or other altercations and something happens? Like what syautd says, the issue here is about the safety of your home just by having the system installed for people to know that you've done the necessary and deter them from even trying...
Related
25/06/2023
Security system and cameras recommendation - Melbourne

Building A New House

It's all about wireless, self install now. The cost/benefit of wired setups for the house are no longer what they used to be. Lots of wireless options. Eufy, Arlo and…

9/04/2024
Colorbond roof can you extend its life?

General Discussion

You should pressure clean your roof first and make sure the paint you buy also is anti mould.

28/11/2023
Wisdom Homes - Construction Delays is it worth the hassle?

Building A New House

In fairness nobody gave a crap about the ACCC and the gag clauses continued in the pro forma templates of a few other builders after the ACCC took on Wisdom, and more…

You are here
Building ForumSafer Living
Home
Pros
Forum