Join Login
Building ForumSafer Living

Cats, their claws & metal security flyscreens (eg Crimsafe)

Page 1 of 1
Hi all, I'm planning on moving to Southern Highlands to live. I live in NQ and we commonly have a metal lattice type security screen with a plastic type flymesh. The cats climb up the screen and yes I do have to replace them in time - but no big deal, really. I like to leave windows open to let the house breath and be cool during hot days, but also have security against breakins as well.

So having been down south I find that people don't use these type of screens at all and use a metal type mesh for the flywire because of the bushfire risk. I want to be able to leave windows open to let the house breath during hot days and also to let fresh air in during the day either winter or summer.

But I've heard that metal screens catch on the cat claws and can cause the claws to be ripped from their paws (
). So does anyone know if there is a type of metal screen that is claw friendly as it were?

I've looked everywhere, but to no avail.

Thanks z
Well we had security doors with "invisible" mesh on them and one of our cats was continually chasing bugs up and down the door. Never found any claws, and only once had to rescue it when it got stuck (the dog waiting underneath for him to drop down may have been part of the problem). As opposed to the scratching post which he got claws stuck on much more regulalry.
The problem you may find is if it is a metal screen for bushfire reasons then I think the openings are not allowed to be larger than 3mm!

Inherently a cat can scratch and break the plastic mesh but not the metal, so I don't know if a cat friendly metal screen door exists!

Related
30/12/2023
Cut metal with a mitre saw?

General Discussion

Fine with me... just let 'em step in with some affordable (but good) gear...

25/06/2023
Security system and cameras recommendation - Melbourne

Building A New House

It's all about wireless, self install now. The cost/benefit of wired setups for the house are no longer what they used to be. Lots of wireless options. Eufy, Arlo and…

21/10/2023
Rain coming through security door

General Discussion

Hi When it rains in a particular direction water comes through the security door. It hits the main door and the bottom swells and jams. There is already a cover over the…

You are here
Building ForumSafer Living
Home
Pros
Forum