Join Login
Building ForumIncreasing Home Value

Rendering - worth it? Plus Perth recommendations Pls

Page 1 of 1
We have a 6x2 double storey house that was built in 1978. Most of the hard work has been done inside such as creating a 2nd bathroom, new kitchen, all new floor coverings etc however it is the typical 1970s brown brick house and it looks dated and unappealing from the outside. We've even had someone ask if ours was the really old place on the corner when we described where we lived once and we didnt think of our house that way.

The bottom storey is brick and the top storey is light cream weatherboard so I was thinking we could maybe get away with just renovating the bottom like this property but not with the brick feature that it has at the front: http://reiwa.com.au/Buy/Pages/More-info ... no=3044751

Ive had real estate agents come out and value it and they have all commented it is an 'unique' property but the exterior does let it down as far as appeal, property value and how long it would take to sell it. The 'style' of the house would lend itself to a more modern design than the 70s, its just the brown bricks. We had ours valued at a possible sale price $600k (listed at $640k) yet similar properties in the same price range and suburb are 4x2s with no ocean views (ours does), smaller bedrooms (our 2 upstairs are the size of modern main bedrooms and the main bedroom has a parents retreat) and smaller blocks - about 600sqm vs 900sqm with the possibility to sub-divide in future for ours.

I am a SAHM to twins so we are very much on a budget (hoping for a good tax return due to negative gearing on our IP) but I am wondering if it would be a worthwhile expense to render the exterior. Given it is a corner block rendering just the front wont be an option. Also where would I start looking to find someone to do this work? Also does anyone have any idea what it may cost me?

If you dont think it would be worth it and will date just like the dark brown bricks that we currently have what would you suggest we do to make it more visually appealing from the outside?

The other things on my list to do are to replace the gutters (rusted through in spots) and strip back the window frames and repaint as they are brown and the paint is flaking off in spots. Then its landscaping the back and it will be ready to either be listed for sale or maybe convince DH to stay here as it looks modern again
Some pictures would probably help determine if rendering will modernise your house.
This is the photo off Google Maps as I am at work at the moment so its fairly grainy

Hi there
I would say render it without a doubt. Awesome rendering company in Perth is Akita plasterers. They do a fab job and are professional. Outside rendering costs about 20 per S q m. If you need a roof plumber send me a pm and I will send you a number. He tends to work sor.
Kay
Hi MrsB09,
Please check out my thread in the interior decorating forum entitled "Michelle Help
xterior Colour to match bricks".
The last post has a link to original picture of my house then the rendered product. My house probably id 1/8 the size of yours but rendering did modernise it which I wanted to achieve.
Good luck
Hello to all. Ok so ill add my two cents.

Personally I dont like rendering and it cannot go out of style quick enough for me. I think that you will get more bang for you buck if you colour match.

Paint your brick and weatherboard the same colour. Sure you have a different texture but the overall look will be pleasing to the eye
If you're going to render then you need to render all of the bottom, not just the front. I personally don't like painted bricks. It looks like a poor man's render. But what you do will depend on your budget. A big house like that plus gutters, windows and landscaping will cost a lot. Best of luck with it.
I agree that rendering the whole bottom section will markedly improve the look of the house and would stay away from painting bricks. If full render comes back too expensive then maybe consider a bagged finish. At least it will look better in pics with the whole house being the same colour.
Painting the bricks is definitely not an option. I hate it. I'd be rendering the whole lot, not just the front as I don't like the front only rendered look and being a corner block I think it would look even worse.

Kay I will send you a PM
I don't like painted bricks either, or bagging.

We rendered our red brick house. It looks amazing. We used a rock coat finish with a raked finish.
Cost $12K (a while ago).

There are photos here of before and after. Verandah railings not weren't on yet.

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/gallery ... 511&page=2
I just have to say i am always amazed at just how much a render will transform a house and your house looks like the perfect candidate, bricked up double storey homes will look like a brand new modern house with a render all around. In my opinion it is worth it.

If you go ahead with it please post photos!
hi there i am new to this website.
My husband and I are also renovating a single storey 'older' home (1970's) and wondering whether to render the exterior. At the moment is has brown bricks and green gutters. We were wondering whether a roof restoration / rendering would increase the value of the home.
i am also in perth...chasing someone to render a white front of a mid 90's house.
all contacts appreciated
Related
6/07/2023
Hebel Flooring PLUS Insulation or Not?

General Discussion

1000000% definitely add insulation. I have in my home and it makes a big difference minimising sound transfer. Insulation is pretty cheap and definitely worth it

16/04/2024
Hardie Linea Vs BGC Nuline Plus

Building A New House

We are building a house that was planned to be clad in Hardie Linea, our builder has now requested to swap this for BGC Nuline Plus. They look fairly similar and he has…

11/11/2023
Window infill/ rendering over different substrates

General Discussion

yep you need a joint, foam is easiest, will look fine once rendered with a joint.

You are here
Building ForumIncreasing Home Value
Home
Pros
Forum