Join Login
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum

Owner builder certificate Vic

Page 1 of 1
Hello there

I'm wondering what the ramifications would be of not getting an owner builder certificate.

I mean, if I owner build my house to live in and never sell, and if there will never be a reason to claim anything on any insurance, why do I need one ?

If by chance there's some sort of workmanship fault, I'll simply get it fixed.
Every construction needs a builder either registered or OB.
You won't get plans through council without one or the other.
Right. I don't doubt you at all but can you or anyone provide some written information to show that is the case ?

I've had a look at several building permit application forms in Melbourne and none of them mention an owner builder certificate.
I'm in WA and we have slightly different processes for building permits, but a quick look at a building permit application in Victoria shows that it asks who is the registered builder or is it an OB. If it's an OB you have to provide the licence number.
All works over $10k have to be written up on contracts with licenced trades.
RDH001
Hello there

I'm wondering what the ramifications would be of not getting an owner builder certificate.

I mean, if I owner build my house to live in and never sell, and if there will never be a reason to claim anything on any insurance, why do I need one ?

If by chance there's some sort of workmanship fault, I'll simply get it fixed.

Your construction needs to meet building regulations (Vic) and have approved plans...including basic engineering, and also approved planning permit depending on zoning of your land. Some land such as bush block or other may have zoning which prohibits any type of build. You can build.. but if found to be not approved the shire/council can have the build demolished at your expense.... maybe at a cost of $50,000 plus. can go to court but you will lose as you do not have approval. re insurance you will not be able to get any... as if something happens on site ..eg the roof falls on your mate, and the building is not an approved structure the insurers will not pay anything.. and your mate can sue you for damages which may run to $10,000,000 dollars if he is badly/ permanently injured as a result of the build. If it is a remote bush block .. some have put up huts or shed... under 10 squ mts you dont need a permit. but you need an occupancy certificate if you plan to live in it. Others put an onsite caravan, but only allowed to live in for 6mths during a build?

I would do the owner builder course on line, submit plans etc to council, and then build with no issues. small house planning and building permit fees should be less than $3000.
Hi Folks,

I need some help. I am starting my journey as a owner builder. I have a lot of questions but for now, I only want to ask 1 big thing.

Question 1 -
How the Duck do i arrange workforce for my project? Ex - we all know that there are N number of tasks that one has to do as an OB. From where do i arrange people to complete my tasks? Like for plumbing how do i arrange plumbing company? Like that for all the tasks how do i arrange man force?

Please provide some inputs as I feel like, I am getting lost here.

Thanks
Make a list of what you can do/build and what needs to be contracted.

do a work plan eg land assessment, architect plans, engineering, soil test, Bal assessment if required, submit all to council for approval, start, earthworks, slab, plumbing, walls roof..etc

for each item eg concrete slab ask around your town and outside town for recommendation. we found going outside our town had more competitive quotations.

get name of person you want to use and ask around. we made a mistake of getting some people based on advice that turned out to be crims. so get name and go to Court Records...on line.. it is a free service.. type in there full name and state and see what comes up. If they have a court record..DONT USE THEM. Best tip I can say. second best tip is if you are doing a bit yourself buy some second hand scaffolding...really useful for the build and need esp two story. Third tip search gumtree etc for new materials you may use in the build, our saving has been about $40,000 based on this method saving 30-60% .. good luck
dunk

do a work plan eg land assessment, architect plans, engineering, soil test, Bal assessment if required, submit all to council for approval, start, earthworks, slab, plumbing, walls roof..etc

for each item eg concrete slab ask around your town and outside town for recommendation. we found going outside our town had more competitive quotations.

get name of person you want to use and ask around. we made a mistake of getting some people based on advice that turned out to be crims. so get name and go to Court Records...on line.. it is a free service.. type in there full name and state and see what comes up. If they have a court record..DONT USE THEM. Best tip I can say. second best tip is if you are doing a bit yourself buy some second hand scaffolding...really useful for the build and need esp two story. Third tip search gumtree etc for new materials you may use in the build, our saving has been about $40,000 based on this method saving 30-60% .. good luck

Thanks Mate,

I highly appreciate all the info. I will follow what you've shared.

I am about to bring together an excel sheet containing list of all the tasks needed from the start till the end.
dunk

Hi Dunk,

I am also in the planning phase, do you know how much it will cost for a class M Waffle pod slab in Melbourne north. price/m2?
mauricejmj
dunk

Hi Dunk,

I am also in the planning phase, do you know how much it will cost for a class M Waffle pod slab in Melbourne north. price/m2?

So besides slab cost you also need to consider the piers that you will requiring before concret slab is poured over.
We are just about ready to OB an extension in the New Year. Small regional town Victoria. Took 12 months to get planning permit. Had to get Land Capability Report, soil report, footing designs Bushfire Attack Level report, working drawings, Owner Builder Consent to Build and do a White Card course. All paperwork is with Building Surveyor and we will get the Building Permit just before Christmas. Have kept a spreadsheet of al expenses so far. I have started putting jobs on Hi Pages for footings, framing and carpentry plastering, decking . Have started a new page with a record of the Tradies contacted with their emails and phone numbers and notes of what I sent and when. I will also include their quotes when I get them. When I have a complete breakdown of costs I will set up a Build Cost spreadsheet with estimated and actual costs as we go along. I will also add quotes for fittings air-cons, ceiling fans, floor coverings as accurately as possible before we start. Hope this is helpful.
Related
12/06/2023
Occupancy certificate

General Discussion

We are in NSW and require 2 positive covenants to be placed on the property didnt really underdtand this but apparently it will take a few months, and have just been…

16/05/2024
Roof Plumbing - no compliance certificate ?

General Discussion

I can totally relate to your shed project struggles—I recently tackled a similar ordeal, and it was quite the journey. Navigating through all those regulations and hoops…

You are here
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum
Home
Pros
Forum