Join Login
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum

OB for load bearing wall removal

Page 1 of 1
I've not been able to find a builder willing to take on my relatively small (for them) job.

I have copies of certified engineering drawings and comps.

I have a carpenter with experience in this type of work but he's not VBA registered.

I have a surveyor in mind who can approve the permit or I can go through council, doesn't phase me either way.

I am aware I'll need to get OB insurance. what should that cover?

am I missing any step here? is a non-registered person doing the work a big no-no?

thanks very much.
If you're willing to supervise the carpenter and check the work is done well then there's no worries taking on a non-registered person, but it is a bit of a risk I guess. It basically means that if there are any problems with the work you'll have pretty much no where to go. But if you ensure the work is done well and to the drawings then happy days. Builders are hard to nail down, especially for small jobs as there's usually less profit in a small job.

There are unlimited insurances to consider, all of which will most likely be void if you make a mistake as they usually cover personal injury, accidents, fire, theft etc etc.

1. Public Liability Insurance – covers any third party injury and property damage. Always ask subcontractors for current Contractors Insurance Certificate and ensure they have their own workers compensation insurance.
  2. Construction Insurance – mainly for any unforeseeable risks during the construction phase such as vandalism, theft, fire damage, storm, wind or water damage, removal of debris and professional fees.
  3. Workers Compensation – this only applies to any workers employed on the site.
  4. Personal Accident / Injury Insurance - to ensure the owner builder is covered should they themselves be involved in an accident on site.
  5. Voluntary works - if you have family or friends working on the site for free.
thank you for your very informative response. I will look into the different insurances closely.

I have confidence in the chippy as he has been working for a reg builder for 15 years. he is now going out on his own but as you pointed out, that's the risk I have to weigh up - no VBA = no recourse.

wouldn't the surveyor (?) who issues the occupancy certificate be the one taking on the responsibility that the job was done correctly, mitigating any risk in the carpenter's work anyway?
purrfection
wouldn't the surveyor (?) who issues the occupancy certificate be the one taking on the responsibility that the job was done correctly, mitigating any risk in the carpenter's work anyway?

just in case this helps someone else, I have since found out from chatting to the surveyor that no OC is issued for my kind of job. makes sense now that I know, of course. 🙄
having now made enquiries with some OB insurance companies based on Evoke Architects' advice I seem to have come out more confused than before.

the carpenter I intend to engage says he has $10M worker's comp cover. I have not seen the policy but for now let's assume it does exist. I have also not clarified whether he means public liability or whether these are one in the same.

the cost of works will be around only $4K, not including the permit. in Vic this means that neither home owner or builder's warranty applies. I have looked at "regular" home insurance policies but have found none that mention renovation coverage. is there such a policy?

my main concern is finding insurance that covers any defects in workmanship that may potentially lead to structural damage, e.g., roof collapsing during work or after the work is complete. what type of insurance should I be looking for? 🤕

thanks.
purrfection

my main concern is finding insurance that covers any defects in workmanship that may potentially lead to structural damage, e.g., roof collapsing during work or after the work is complete. what type of insurance should I be looking for? 🤕

thanks.

If it's properly designed and certified by an engineer you shouldn't have any issues whatsoever
The engineer Carries PI and The Carpenter WC
But of course if you wish to pay an extra $2K for building services/insurance then that's up to you
Check this guide if you haven’t already

http://www.vba.vic.gov.au/__data/assets ... -Guide.pdf

May be worth talking to your home and contents insurance provider and discussing your situation and their side of things and if they offer protection for what you are after

StructuralBIMGuy

If it's properly designed and certified by an engineer you shouldn't have any issues whatsoever
The engineer Carries PI and The Carpenter WC
But of course if you wish to pay an extra $2K for building services/insurance then that's up to you

I agree, and I would if I could but nobody wants my money. what's another couple of grand for extra peace of mind when a small fortune has already been spent bringing the rest of the house into the 21st century?
Howyagoin
Check this guide if you haven’t already

http://www.vba.vic.gov.au/__data/assets ... -Guide.pdf

May be worth talking to your home and contents insurance provider and discussing your situation and their side of things and if they offer protection for what you are after

thanks for that. will take a look at it and spend tomorrow making calls to people who'll have no idea what I'm on about. 😩
for anybody in a similar boat now, or who may read this down the track, there is no insurance available (in Vic and as at today's date) to cover defective workmanship under an OB arrangement for such a low cost job, as is mine.

I have finally found out that recourse for such matters is through the guarantees offered by Aust. Consumer Law and would end up being a civil matter.

sincerely,
muddlebrained.
Yeah things like this aren’t easy, hopefully VBA and other organisations can improve in this type of stuff

I have a construction works policy with product/public liability and that is a good package.
That kind of insurance may not be possible for owner builder and if not they should look at creating one

Howyagoin
Yeah things like this aren’t easy, hopefully VBA and other organisations can improve in this type of stuff

I have a construction works policy with product/public liability and that is a good package.
That kind of insurance may not be possible for owner builder and if not they should look at creating one

great idea, perhaps we're in the wrong line of business. 😉 however I think the average home owner would rather save bucks than cover their a$$, even on low cost structural work. if you're building a whole house as an OB there seem to be quite a few more options.
True, should look at venturing into owner builder small works insurance $$

Hopefully your job can finally be underway soon, I’m assuming you’re opening up your kitchen or lounge room for some extra space?

thank you... so do i!

yes it's the wall between the kitchen and lounge. can't do the kitchen without this job and the only appliances that still work are the microwave and grill; the air fryer just packed it in.

it'll be a long time before we eat an oven-cooked meal again. 😭😭
purrfection
having now made enquiries with some OB insurance companies based on Evoke Architects' advice I seem to have come out more confused than before.

the carpenter I intend to engage says he has $10M worker's comp cover. I have not seen the policy but for now let's assume it does exist. I have also not clarified whether he means public liability or whether these are one in the same.

the cost of works will be around only $4K, not including the permit. in Vic this means that neither home owner or builder's warranty applies. I have looked at "regular" home insurance policies but have found none that mention renovation coverage. is there such a policy?

thanks.

let me break down some basics as best i can

a job value greater than $10000 including labour and materials requires a registered builder
greater than $16000 requires a registered builder and a domestic building contract.

insurance : builders warranty insurance dosent necessarily cover defects and warranties like many think it does . it only covers you for these events if the builder , dies , becomes insolvent or goes missing. without any of those things happening your recourse would be arbitration and possibly vcat. in theory these things shouldnt happen as the builder you engage should be registered and competent.

as for public liability insurance its great that your carpenter has it and the insurance company is more than happy to take his money but in the event of a claim if he is found to be working outside of his qualifications then they will void the claim
purrfection
thank you for your very informative response. I will look into the different insurances closely.

I have confidence in the chippy as he has been working for a reg builder for 15 years. he is now going out on his own but as you pointed out, that's the risk I have to weigh up - no VBA = no recourse.

surveyors and engineers are like teflon , nothing sticks , all liability falls on the builder.
I like that teflon analogy. 😆

in contrast, I have a history of being like flies when it comes to builders (or any businesses) who try to screw me over. I do not stop hanging around till you clean up the sh*t mess left behind and the smell is long gone.

unfortunately not enough people know their basic rights.
Not necessarily true with engineers and surveyors. Friend has take a volume builder to court over unsound foundation. Volume builder immediately deflected it to the engineer and put in a claim against their insurance. Watch this space.
Related
18/05/2024
structural engineer for load bearing walls / columns

Renovation + Home Improvement

just ask a carpenter/ builder, if they are unsure they will get the engineer to advise.

20/01/2024
Roof Load Width Needed

Renovation + Home Improvement

Any structural alteration to your home requires building permit. Before you get it you will have to supply plans with structural assessment, you will also be removing…

25/07/2023
Peeling plastic laminate - advice on removal?

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

At a bit of a loss on this one - we're thinking the original owners never removed the protective laminate covers from their kitchen cabinets after installation and in the…

You are here
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum
Home
Pros
Forum