Join Login
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum

Owner Builder for new townhouse development and existing hou

Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone,

I joined this forum long time ago for my gardening hobby. Never think that one day I will ask advice for a very different topic.

We bought a corner block few years ago and just got approved planning permit for subdivision. Our plan is to build the new townhouse at the back and then renovate the existing house. We are engaging with a couple of builders but also considering the owner builder option.

My confusion started when 2 different building surveys gave me 2 totally opposite answers. One said that I will need to have 2 separate building permits for new construction and renovation. And I can only be owner builder for either 1 of them. The other said since the new development and renovation are at the same address, I can obtain just 1 building permit for both. Hence I can be owner builder for both under that building permit.

Could anyone tell me which building survey has given me the correct advice? I live in Melbourne.

Thanks
soot welcome to the form
What type of renovations are you doing to the existing house?
Is your subdivision a strata or green title?
For example Strata title (WA) if you are removing a carport or trimming back an external wall
to make way for a driveway..then you should be able to OB & submit one Council applications
BTW, It can be different interstate
Hi Soot,
I believe it depends on at what stage the subdivision is done. Usually the subdivision is left until the very end (after all the work is done), and in this case technically you are renovating and building a new structure at the one single property address.

I think you'll find that's the difference. Even the above scenario is handled differently in different States, but I've done insurance for a number of clients in VIC who have done it this way.
Hi Allrisk,

Thank you very much for your reply. It really give me a clear picture of my situation.

All the best!
Hi StructuralBIMguy,

I am gonna do an alteration which includes internal wall removal, partial demolition and extension. So I thought that is quite not a simple renovation. I haven't heard about Strata and Green title. Probably because I am very new in this field. Will definitely do my homework about those definition.

Thanks!
Related
29/12/2023
New development overlooks into my yard

General Discussion

Plant some bamboo along the fenceline >

30/06/2023
Certifier and the Brisbane development website

Building A New House

Hi, does anyone have a clue how the Brisbane Development website work in terms of how uptodate the dates on it are (developmenti.brisbane.qld.gov.au). I transfered…

You are here
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum
Home
Pros
Forum