Join Login
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum

Owner Builders-Sydney

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

Anyone owner building currently in Sydney.
Would love to be in touch and exchange any valuable contacts/information.
Hi Jacky10
Start with proper preliminary drawings, engineering, data,cost and quants
Then firm up the above
I like the artists analogy include information/Data
Frame-> sketch->broad brush strokes-> fill in finer details-> and keep within the parameters...
There are tools and appsb4ubuild @ google that automates the whole process . goodluck
Hi Jacky10, I've been doing owner builder insurance for over ten years, if you need any help with that. Most of my clients are in Sydney.
StructuralBIMGuy
Hi Jacky10
Then firm up the above
Frame-> sketch->broad brush strokes-> fill in finer details-> and keep within the parameters...
There are tools and appsb4ubuild @ google that automates the whole process . goodluck

Hi

Ignore my ignorance please tell me what did you meant by "aapsb4ubuild".

Any specific aap you are referring to ?

Allrisk
Hi Jacky10, I've been doing owner builder insurance for over ten years, if you need any help with that. Most of my clients are in Sydney.

I am currently shopping around.

How can i contact you for a reasonable quote ?

Jacky10
StructuralBIMGuy
Hi Jacky10
Then firm up the above

Hi

Ignore my ignorance please tell me what did you meant by "aapsb4ubuild".

Any specific aap you are referring to ?

Jacky10
I generate apps to suit your project b4Ubuild they are geared towards the Battlers & Punters projects
Start with 3D Building Information Modelling (BIM) the connection to the internet of things (IoT) is Python
Hi Jackie10, which part of Sydney are you building in and how far along are you? I'm in Belrose and just have my DA approved.

Jacky10
Allrisk

Hi Jacky, we have a really quick and easy live quote form here :
http://allrisk.com.au/owner-builder-insurance-quote/referrer/HomeOne
Searching4 knowledge
Hi Jackie10, which part of Sydney are you building in and how far along are you? I'm in Belrose and just have my DA approved.

Hi

I am still in drawings stage.
And looking to build in Riverstone in north west Sydney.

Hi,
I am looking to build around Wentworthville area. Would love to be in touch and share knowledge and experience

tadimalla
Is it a new build or reno, budget & have you progressed from the sketch stage?
Jacky10
Searching4 knowledge

Hi

I am still in drawings stage.
And looking to build in Riverstone in north west Sydney.

I'm also going to be doing a OB in Riverstone. I have plans before BCC and I'm currently work throught the Engineers objections.

Hey peeps, how are you guys going with your build? I am planning to do an OB duplex in Schofields but sitting on the edge on taking the first step. How has your experience been so far? I have very little experience with building and construction and not sure if I am biting more than I can chew!
Clarity Estimating
Jacky,

Find a good draftsman that can get you DA plans and construction certificate. this would cost you between 7k-10k.

there would be others who can do it for even cheaper, 5k for double storey.

Once you get your construction certificate, you can start building. I can help you with estimating your quantities for ordering your materials =)

Hmm. Those numbers look overly optimistic.

In addition to drafting/architectural drawings you would have to pay for:

- Contour survey
- Structural engineering (usually $2K+)
- Geotech
- Stormwater engineering
- BASIX assessment
- (optionally) arborist report and landscaping plan
- Council DA fees and long service levy (depends on council, but expect around $5K for both)
- Private certifier ($2.5K+)

So expect up to $15K of additional expenses before you are even allowed to dig (obtain your construction certificate).
Clarity Estimating
If your draftsman has good relations with their consultant, the price can vary quite a lot.

for instance surveyor would charge $1600 to the public but would charge $900 to a company.
Geotech can be $1200 to public, but $750 to a company.
Hydraulic plan will depend on how complex it is.
Basix around $400 or you can do yourself apparently.
Landscape plan your draftsman can do
DA fees and levies should be separate, because it depends on the project value
private certifier is around 2.5k

Sure, but my main point here is that the costs will be still adding up.
BTW have some questions to you regarding current fair value costs in Sydney, asked them in the neighbouring "Slab and formwork costs" topic. Thanks
Hi all,
I am starting to do a owner builder and have had the architect plans done and organised a private certifier. So far it has cost over $13K for all the plans engineer BASIX etc. My certifier says he needs the Owner/Builder permit to put on the NOI form but I cannot get the permit from fair trading until approval has been given? So what do we do? I thought the idea of going through a certifier was so I did not have to go through council to get a DA. Would love to hear how everyone else got theirs.
Thanks
Your certifier is talking about construction certificate (CC).

But before CC you would need to receive DA or CDC first, which do not require owner builder permit, but do require council approval.
Sabda
Hi all,
I am starting to do a owner builder and have had the architect plans done and organised a private certifier. So far it has cost over $13K for all the plans engineer BASIX etc. My certifier says he needs the Owner/Builder permit to put on the NOI form but I cannot get the permit from fair trading until approval has been given? So what do we do? I thought the idea of going through a certifier was so I did not have to go through council to get a DA. Would love to hear how everyone else got theirs.
Thanks
You can get a owner builder certificate with a DA number... you don't need an approved DA.

Jacky10
Allrisk

Hi Jacky,
you can call me on 1300 255 747 in business hours, or at any time of day can get a quote at the link below
Related
5/02/2024
Pool Builders, in and around The Hills Greater Sydney

Building A New House

Thanks again Simeon for being so elaborate. Appreciate it. Its gives us a very idea. Kind Regards

25/04/2024
Owner Builder : Need some help

Owner Builder Forum

Hi VK, Think it's worth investing time in an Owner Builder course to equip you with basic knowledge on Australian Building Industry and its regulations. Also, I suggest…

You are here
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum
Home
Pros
Forum