Join Login
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum

Getting an occupancy certificate

Page 1 of 1
Hi.
Something that is a requirement when I do start to OB is living in the house whilst it is being built (In Tassie). The main reason is time to build and costs with renting at the same time. I've googled relentlessly and found some info.

My question is what is the minimum work required?
1. Waterproof. Ok so putting up inside walls does nothing for this. If it is req do I need to plaster the joints too? In all the rooms or just the occupied ones.
2. Fire alarms. Yep definitely.
3. Shower. Ok will do the master bathroom complete.
4. Toilet. As above but 1 only.
5. Laundry etc. Ok will do complete.
6. Kitchen sink Will do a bench with a sink but nothing else. Do I need a stove?
7. Balustrades. Or block access to heights. Locking doors is unacceptable so how to block?
Power, hot and cold water etc..

http://www.meander.tas.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/OBTAINING_AN_OCCUPANCY_CERTIFICATE.pdf

I live in Qld and will be building in Tassie so moving twice is not a palatable option. Just trying to save my limited funds.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
It depends on whether one is building within a township or on a rural block.

If building in a rural location, some councils are a bit more relaxed and allow workers to temporarily live in a caravan/s provided construction of the house has commenced and the caravans are also typically hidden from public view. I.E. the new building slab has been poured and there is a working toilet on the site.

Alternatively some councils may allow a shed to be built behind the house and the shed fitted out as a granny flat with kitchen, bathroom & toilet provided construction of the house has commenced.
So best would be to meet with the counsel and talk.
Something which should be done in most cases
Thanks guys.
It'll be a suburb of Hobart so no caravan and a shed would take budget from the build unfortunately. The building surveyor signs off that the work complies with what is required then the council issues a certificate.
So I'm hoping someone has first hand experience
I'm not building for a year so no doubt I'll meet with the council at some stage.
Quote: a shed would take budget from the build

If you are an OB you will need a substantial shed to securely store materials, tools and personal effects.
A large shed also allows one to work undercover during inclement weather.
Correct, yes. Theres always more to the story
The kit home will arrive in shipping containers which I will make use of during construction. Well so the theory goes. The council do allow them on the property temporarily. Plan A is to get approval for one permanently disguised as a shed with the same material as a house.
quote: Well so the theory goes

Time will tell if a shipping container is big enough.

To keep things in perspective, my shed is as large as my house.

Plus the shed is also double storey with my temporary living quarters on the upper level; and I used every square millimetre of its ground floor space during construction as a work area, storage space and a place to have great shed parties (to appease my neighbours who initially disapproved of my shed).
How I would like to be in your position
but the suburbs are where we need to be at this stage. The block has a 1:3 fall so anything that requires a 2m retaining wall is out of the question
Today I received my occupancy certificate for my OB after nearly one years wait. It seems they (the local Council) were were prepared to look the other way when it came to living in an unfinished house but were bureaucratic when it came to issuing a Certificate of Occupancy. They required my house to be finished to 110%. including external works.
There have been some very recent and substantial changes to Building Act in Tasmania
Talk to the council then talk to your building surveyor
information you will get will be invaluable
Beetaloo
Today I received my occupancy certificate for my OB after nearly one years wait.

Congratulations! Sit back and enjoy a glass. Although I'm sure there's still lots to do
One glass is not enough. A bottle of wine or 2 is closer to the mark. Unfortunately there is nothing more for me to do. My house is complete inside and out. Now what do I do? My building project from planning to completion has taken 4 years. I now need to get another hobby.
I have recently joined a bush walking group but I don't feel properly dressed walking all day with them, without a nail gun and 1000 nails hanging off my belt.
Try fishing or restoring an old boat or better still head first into another build job
Related
12/06/2023
Occupancy certificate

General Discussion

We are in NSW and require 2 positive covenants to be placed on the property didnt really underdtand this but apparently it will take a few months, and have just been…

1/07/2023
Partial Occupancy Certificate

General Discussion

Hi All We are about to buy a newly constructed house…

11/08/2023
Class 3 rooming house Occupancy Permit Problem

General Discussion

I don’t think so as the floor area over 300 square meters then it is class 3….

You are here
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum
Home
Pros
Forum