Join Login
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum

Cost of Drawing & DA/CDC approval - NSW

Page 1 of 1
Hi Guys,

Just got my quote from Architect and he quoted 8K i.e. to get me CDC approval.

I would appreciate any input to guide me, if any service is missing from below list to get CDC approval or paying too much for service?

He itemised price as blow:

SURVEYANCE $ 1000
ARCHITECTURAL DRAWINGS $ 3000
HYDRAULIC DRAWINGS $ 700
STRUCTURAL DRAWINGS $ 700
SYDNEY WATER $ 100
CDC APPROVAL $ 2500
Total $8000
That's either cheap for all those services, he's missed something or you are building a small relatively simple house.
You also don't give us much information ie sloping block, complicated multi-storey design, retaining walls etc You also don't tell us where you are building or whether you are rural or suburban.
We are having to do a DA but as a comparison...
Survey $2200
Drawings ( I did them myself ) but for a three storey complicated design expect $8,000 +
Hydraulics $1800 ( we need an OSD tank )
Structurals - expecting to pay $5000+
Sydney Water - about $110 once we attend to a few other things
DA - council fees around $6000.

Stewie
Thanks Stewie,

The price is for small single storey home on 320sqm land with slope is around 0.75 m. It's in suburban area.
I would agree with Stewie D Those prices are way under..so what do you get for $700 for engineering A photocopy of the basic single storey footing details ..Is that what you have sketched?
Some designers give cheaper estimates to start with and then rip you with every variation once you have committed..go figure

Why get full documentations?

1. If you are a OB then it stands to reason..you will need all the data, info,etc to make informed decisions
2. If you are sending docs out to tender...if the drawing are incomplete what are builders going to tender on Apples and oranges..More builders variations/cost later on..when you can least afford them
3. Once you nail down a builder and quote, you end up changing every thing when you study the finer details...you cant win with cheap drawings,specis, details, CDs, etc
I don't understand why people pay for structural drawings for a frame and truss system. The only reason you would need to if you are doing your own fabrication of the truss. If you design as per BCA you should be fine. If you buy a frame and truss system from a company the will give you an engineered drawing to suit. The only real reason that you may need engineering would be for foundations which lie outside the BCA (class m etc). if you are owner building you should really get yourself a copy of the BCA (its free on net legally) and have a read. At the end of the day the council will not issue you with a construction certificate if you can not provide the details. EG slab design : as per BCA, frame and truss, as designed by frame and truss constructor etc.
Having said that, the council will give you a quote for the fees and charges. Just make sure you ask them if they have any covenants, building funds or community contributions that you need to cover.

I would like to know why you pay for surveying. This would only be for the architect. You can get the plans for your block from the council. Plop your house on it. Show your builder or architect. I don't know why people make it so hard.

I agree, do your spec.
You need to think of exactly what you want in each room. Start at the floor, work your way up. So....
floor covering, vacuum points if any, underfloor heating if any, floor registers if any, then skirting height and type, plinth blocks for doorways, power points number, height and where, wall cladding in gyprock, v groove boards etc, door architraves if any, door jambs as in one piece rebated or construct............
I find it best to start a word document. 'Borrow' pictures online and add them to your page. door pic, window pic, flooring, skirting, coving, architrave, power point types, switch type, light fixture.... gets the most accurate quotes. Like people say, its the variations that are the killer.

take a breath.

Costs for me 320m2 single level, but don't forget I did my own plans and survey:
Survey: Cost of Rotating laser level and 50m tape
Drawings: free
Hydraulics: free, filled out form in council chamber. I have a 1 in 30 block. No storm water discharge rural block.
structural: none, covered by f&t fabricator
Council fees (includes inspections, long service levy (reclaimable), community works donation (1% of build cost) DA, and WWT approval. 10K
foundation, house, shed and garage designed by engineer (H class) $1800. Included soil report.
Decorative truss engineering (build on site by me with fabricated connectors) $300

sorry for long post
Some of the costs sure moa but for the rest you are wrong unless you are building from a cookie cutter design.
Our council won't process a DA unless it is all to AHD and a proper contour survey is done by a surveyor - cost from $1800-$2500 for a standard block. Sometimes the boundaries have to be pegged - about $200 per each one. When the shadow diagrams are submitted they have to correspond to all the levels taken from the survey as well.
Any kind of variation from a standard stormwater system also has to be by a hydraulics engineer or as in our case for an OSD - $1800
Neither the council nor a PCA will issue a CC unless the engineering drawings are provided from a structural engineer.
Maybe out in the boondocks where rural councils will let you get away with a lot more ( I know because I've drawn a few plans for country houses ) but for most suburban councils I deal with your approach wouldn't cut the mustard.
The OP did state he is building suburban and as he is using an architect I would presume it is a non-standard design.

Stewie
Related
13/02/2024
DA vs CDC (Approval Times) in Ku-ring-gai Council?

Building A New House

Hi Minho I have heaps of experience in Ku-ring-gai with both DAs and CDC ( this is the main area we build in). DA's are taking 12-18months and CDC's we have been doing…

12/06/2023
Driveway works under a CDC

Renovation + Home Improvement

I want to build a bigger driveway (without a nature strip) than has been approved under my CDC. I’ve also had a DA approved to build a deck. It looks like I can do this…

You are here
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum
Home
Pros
Forum