Join Login
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum

Owner Building in Perth

Page 1 of 2
Hi,

I thought I would set up this discussion for anybody wondering how much is involved in getting Planning Approval & a Building Permit from you local council.

If you need help or require some guidance on this then I have all the info required for generally all councils in Perth.

I have just been through the process with City of Armadale
Hi Sparky,

I'm in Mundaring Shire and soon to go through this. Any information would be helpful.
Hi Chalky

Not sure what stage you are at in regards to submitting to planning, see below

Have you obtained?:
BAL
Survey
Owner Builder licence
Soil Test

What is needed for Planning Approval
Posted & Soft copy
1. Cover letter & checklist outlining what you have enclosed in you application
2. Form 1 downloadable from council website
3. Copy of Certificate of title (land-gate website)
4. Fees payable for estimated construction cost
5. Site plans (1:200 3-4 copies) This includes survey, any retaining proposed
6. Elevations (1:50 or 1:100 3-4 A3 copies)
7. Floor plans (1:50 or 1:100 3- 4 A3 copies)

Health Department
1. Effluent design (leach drain or ATU)
2. Fees

Technical Services
1. Storm water catchment & disbursement design. (soak-wells rain water tanks etc)
2. Clearing of land or proposed landscape
3. Fees

Will you be submitting the dwelling as certified or Un-certified?
I want to certify my plans for city of Cockburn.
Can you recommend someone and do you know how much they charge?
Hi dbenz

This is who I used.....
Green Start Consulting http://www.greenstartconsulting.com.au/
james@greenstartconsulting.com.au

Fast turnaround of plans (2 days)
$385 including GST

What you will need to supply for certified
1. Full street Address
2. Local Government Area
3. Site Survey
4. Final Working Drawings
5. Specifications (Standard building Specifications Can be purchased from him also $33)
6. Engineering Details/plans (can recommend someone for this)
7. Termite Protection details
8. Energy efficiency (can recommend someone for this)
Other Approvals Needed
1. Health department approval (Depending on where you are building ATU or Leach drain approval)
2. Planning Approval Letter/details
3. Contract value of proposed construction (may or may not need this)

let me know if you need any more help

Cheers
Hi Sparky,

We have only created a sketch.

What do we do first? Planning approval, then working drawings, then Building permit or is it owner builder license? What is the recommended order of proceedings from sketch please?
Hi sparky,
Thanks for your help!

I will contact Green Start tomorrow

Can you recommend someone for:
Termite Protection /i suppose we need a quote or description with type of protection that will be used/
Energy efficiency
If you are electrician please PM me because i need someone for my project.

Cheers

Hi chalky
1.First you need Planning approval / i was told you need one if you are requesting variation of R-codes, http://www.planning.wa.gov.au/dop_pub_p ... _Print.pdf

i don't have any so i am going for Building Permit / you need owner builder license /permit/ before that
http://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/building- ... pplication
Hi dbenz,

We are in a fire zone so Mundaring shire insists we do one.
Hi Chalky

As Dbenz said you will require scaled drawings before you can submit to planning. These need to be of a standard form a drafty.

You will need to obtain a building OB licence before you submit for a building permit. Try to leave this as the last thing you do before you submit to building department as the OB is only valid for 6 months this enables you to attach this with your building permit. To obtain a OB ticket it usually takes about 3-4 weeks.

PM for my email address!

Cheers
Hi Dbenz

Can you recommend someone for:
Termite Protection /i suppose we need a quote or description with type of protection that will be used/ Unfortunately I can't supply info on this as my project will be concrete and steel and as standards say termite protection is not needed/also James @ green start advised me on this.

Energy efficiency Don Fleming Ecorate WA info@ecoratewa.com www.ecoratewa.com (for my project $230) all online and fast 2 day turnaround

If you are electrician please PM me because i need someone for my project. Will do!

Cheers
Chalky

If you haven't done so already!

Grant @ Entire Fire Management is who I used cheapest and great customer service. You will require a fire management plan from local council for them to do the audit.

Cheers
Thanks Sparky and dbenz.

We are on our way with BAL assessment and sketches. We hope to have our plans to shire next week.
Good to hear chalky
Do you know much about the Shire of Northam?
Hi PB
relatively all the same, most councils have minimum requirements for planning & building permit applications
Thanks sparky_JsP
pb if you need anything, please post or pm
Cheers
Hi Sparky,

I don't suppose you could post your planning approval sketches so we can see ow much detail is required?
Chalky Just go to the city with yours and show them, they will let you know if they need more details or they are happy with what you have.
Hi chalky, sorry for late reply have Telstra battles,
can you pm with your email and I will send them.
Cheers
Related
25/04/2024
Owner Builder : Need some help

Owner Builder Forum

Hi VK, Think it's worth investing time in an Owner Builder course to equip you with basic knowledge on Australian Building Industry and its regulations. Also, I suggest…

5/09/2023
QLD Owner Builder Legislation.

General Discussion

Hi all. Anyone know when the $11,000 limit was set in legislation for renovations in QLD? Ive been renovating for 5 years now and this was the limit back then. As we know,…

You are here
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum
Home
Pros
Forum