Join Login
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum

Need help with lentil positioning and size in frame opening

Page 1 of 1
Hello and thanx in advance for any help you guys can offer me. anyways iam currently building a granny flat in our back yard on shs columns about 850 off the ground we have finished termi-board sub floor and are currently laying out framing. I purchased stick framing from a local timber and truss manufacturer and have plans from them. I noticed yesterday that all of my lintels are considerably longer then my rough window/door openings and I was wondering how I go about framing them in. In most cases I have seen the lintel generally extends one stud width either side of rough openings and supported with one jamb stud either side with full length stud/s directly next to jamb studs. Only my exterior walls are load bearing and we are using pre-fabricated trusses.

Example for my glass sliding door:
Door width: 2100 x 2410 - rough opening - 2130 x 2460
Lintel size on plan from truss manufacturers: 140 x 35- 2/2.7

Window width: 1200 x 1810 - rough opening - 1250 x 1860
Lintel size on plan: 190 x 35 - 2/2.1

Cheers for reading any help is appreciated
I'd say they have just provided you the lintels in rough lengths so you can cut them on site. Common lengths for timber are 1800, 2100, 2400, 2700, 3000mm etc which is how they have delivered them.
I take it you have a single top plate and the studs have been set out with the trusses directly over the top of each one?
You may want to change the title of your thread from lentil positioning to lintel positioning ( unless you are into vegan cooking of course
).

Stewie
Related
20/07/2023
Double door frame size

General Discussion

Current door width is approx 2700, looking to have double doors fitted 820-820. What size does the frame need to be before door jamb? Thanks

18/04/2024
Hebel + steel frame vs brick+ timber frame

General Discussion

This is 100% true. You can not hang anything on steel frames. very frustrating

20/02/2024
Renovation size rules help NSW

General Discussion

just ask council, most have a free service for this.

You are here
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum
Home
Pros
Forum